123-1
123-3
1406-3
1508-6
154-8
117-5
8957-5
8957-6

I need to extract the main product code left of the dash into the next
column.
I know I have seen this done, just don't remember how it was accomplished.

Thanks in advance,
Mike

Duke Carey

=LEFT(a1,SEARCH("-",a1,1)-1)

where A1 contains one of your product codes

"mike meyer" wrote:

I have some product codes in a column:

123-1
123-3
1406-3
1508-6
154-8
117-5
8957-5
8957-6

I need to extract the main product code left of the dash into the next
column.
I know I have seen this done, just don't remember how it was accomplished.

Thanks in advance,
Mike

Ron Coderre

Here you go:
=LEFT(A1,FIND("-",A1)-1)

Regards,
Ron

Fredrik Wahlgren

"mike meyer" wrote in message
I have some product codes in a column:

123-1
123-3
1406-3
1508-6
154-8
117-5
8957-5
8957-6

I need to extract the main product code left of the dash into the next
column.
I know I have seen this done, just don't remember how it was accomplished.

Thanks in advance,
Mike

Select the column with these codes and use Data|Text To Columns... A wizard
will appear. Click Next and type a - as your separator. The result should
be:

123 1
123 3
1406 3
1508 6
154 8
117 5
8957 5
8957 6

/Fredrik

CarlosAntenna

=LEFT(A1,FIND("-",A1)-1)

-- Carlos

"mike meyer" wrote in message
I have some product codes in a column:

123-1
123-3
1406-3
1508-6
154-8
117-5
8957-5
8957-6

I need to extract the main product code left of the dash into the next
column.
I know I have seen this done, just don't remember how it was accomplished.

Thanks in advance,
Mike

Arvi Laanemets

Hi

Insert an empty column to right of codes (when there isn't one ready).
Select all codes, and then from Data menu TextToColumns. Set delimiter to
"-" and finish. As result you get 2 columns
123 1
123 1
1406 3
1508 6
154 8
117 5
8957 5
8957 6

When you want to preserve the old column too, then make a copy it before.

Arvi Laanemets

"mike meyer" wrote in message
I have some product codes in a column:

123-1
123-3
1406-3
1508-6
154-8
117-5
8957-5
8957-6

I need to extract the main product code left of the dash into the next
column.
I know I have seen this done, just don't remember how it was accomplished.

Thanks in advance,
Mike

mike meyer

Thanks to all of you!