-   -   round a formula's result (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/215078-round-formulas-result.html)

howdylee

round a formula's result

in a single cell, i need a formula for compounding inflation, and i need to
have that result to be rounded (example, one result from the formula is
$877,394) I want to have that number read $877,400, but within the same cell,
not in a different cell or column. how do i get both formulas in a single
cell? i've got the formulas for interest and for rounding but i can't get
them to work together in a cell, gives me a circular error.

Sheeloo[_3_]

round a formula's result

As you know
=ROUND(A1,-2)
will round the number in A1 to the nearest hundred.

To round the result of your formula (which returns a number) simply replace
A1 by the formula (minus the = sign of course)

eg if you formula is
=VLOOKUP(A1, B:C,2, False)

then use
=ROUND(VLOOKUP(A1, B:C,2, False),-2)

"howdylee" wrote:

in a single cell, i need a formula for compounding inflation, and i need to
have that result to be rounded (example, one result from the formula is
$877,394) I want to have that number read $877,400, but within the same cell,
not in a different cell or column. how do i get both formulas in a single
cell? i've got the formulas for interest and for rounding but i can't get
them to work together in a cell, gives me a circular error.

JBeaucaire[_31_]

round a formula's result

=CEILING(A1,100)

...will cause the number in A1 to always roundUP to the nearest 100.
Useful function to have in your arsenal.

--
JBeaucaire
JBeaucaire's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=73

Shane Devenshire[_2_]

round a formula's result

Hi,

You've left out a lot of info - What is the formula you want to use with the
rounding formula? How are you rounding? In your example 877,394 is rounded
to 877,400
Is this rounded up to the nearest 10 or up to the nearest 100 or just to the
nearest 100. or is it rounded to the nearest 400?

To round to the nearest 10 you could choose

=ROUND(A1,-1)
or to the nearest 100
=ROUND(A1,-2)
or up to the next 100