Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Need help with formula

I have racked my brain to try and figure this out. I have a worksheet with
the following I am having trouble with the ROUNDDOWN part of formula in
Columna J.

Col E: Monthly Pmt
Col G: Total to be paid back
Col H: Amt Pd so far
=IF(TODAY()<=R30,MIN(G30,E30*J30),MIN(G30,E30*J30) )
Col I: Balance
=IF(H30="","",G30-H30)
Col J: Pmts made
=IF(TODAY()<$Q30,0,IF(TODAY()$R30,ROUND((($R30-$Q30)/30)
+1,0),ROUNDDOWN(((TODAY()-Q30)/30),0)))
Col K: Pmts remaining
=IF(M30="N",ROUNDUP(G30/E30,0)-J30,""))
Col Q: Start Date
Col R: End Date

The formula shown shows the correct value in Column J for example 1, but not
for example 2. I want Col J (pmts made) to equal 1 if TODAY() = Start Date
but Col J does not equal 1 until 30 days after the start date.

EXAMPLE 1:
Pmt = $250
Total To Be Paid: $23,227.19
Start Date: 9/20/02
Pmts Made (as of 12/20/08) = 76
Pmts Remaining (as of 12/20/08) = 17

Example 2: This is a dummy example I am using to try and fix the problem
Pmt = $500
Total to be Paid: $5,000
Start Date = today's date (whatever date that is)

I want the Pmts Made (Col J) to equal 1 on the start date and to increase by
one each month after that. I can't figure out why the formula works for
Example 1 and not Example 2. If I fix it so example 2 works, then the PMTS
MADE in Example one goes to 77, instead of staying at 76.

NOTE: These are not calculation that involved knowing interest rates, but
simply the TOTAL amount to be paid.

Your help is GREATLY appreciated.

Les