ExcelBanter

-   -   evenly distribute numbers across a range (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/214490-evenly-distribute-numbers-across-range.html)

[email protected] December 23rd 08 04:22 AM

evenly distribute numbers across a range

I'm trying to create a formula or script that will accomplish the
following

Lets say I'm going to sell 7 apples over the next 12 months
I'm trying to create a script that will evenly distribute the 7 apple
sales across the 12 months
I cannot sell part of an apple so the numbers must be zero or one(this
is what has me jammed up)
The script will allow for more than one apple to be sold in a month if
I were to reduce the months from 12 to 6.
I would like a way to 'weight' the distribution having more sales
occur at the beginning or the end of the time frame.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Gary''s Student December 23rd 08 11:29 AM

evenly distribute numbers across a range

In A1 enter the amount of items:
7
In B1 enter the number of months:
12

In C1 enter:
=ROUNDUP(A1/B1,0) this is the "nominal" amount per month
displays 1

In D1 enter:
=C1

In D2 enter:
=IF(SUM($D$1:D1)=$A$1,"",IF(SUM($D$1:D1)+$C$1$A$1 ,$A$1-SUM($D$1:D1),$C$1))

and copy down.

--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200822

[email protected] December 23rd 08 12:01 PM

evenly distribute numbers across a range

The result I got was seven 1s in cells D1-D7. I'm trying to get seven
1s distributed as evenly as possible across cells D1-D12.

I really appreciate you taking the time to help!

Gary''s Student December 23rd 08 02:59 PM

evenly distribute numbers across a range

Column D represents an even spread value-to-value, but an even spread in time.

In addition to the formulas I posted, In E1 enter:
=RAND() and copy down thru E12

In F1 enter:
=INDEX($D$1:$D$12,RANK(E1,$E$1:$E$12))
and copy down thru F12

Column F should be what you need. It takes column D and "randomizes" it
over the 12 months
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu2007k

Glenn December 23rd 08 03:22 PM

wrote:
I'm trying to create a formula or script that will accomplish the
following

Lets say I'm going to sell 7 apples over the next 12 months
I'm trying to create a script that will evenly distribute the 7 apple
sales across the 12 months
I cannot sell part of an apple so the numbers must be zero or one(this
is what has me jammed up)
The script will allow for more than one apple to be sold in a month if
I were to reduce the months from 12 to 6.
I would like a way to 'weight' the distribution having more sales
occur at the beginning or the end of the time frame.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

A1 = 7 (for Apples)
A2 = 12 (for Months)

B1 = ROUND(ROW()/$A$2*$A$1,0)
B2 = IF(ROW()<=$A$2,ROUND(ROW()/$A$2*$A$1,0)-SUM(B$1:B1),"")

Copy B2 down as needed.

UrbanS January 29th 20 02:13 PM

Upgrade

Hi,

a great example. How can I upgrade it so that I can sell additional 5 oranges and 3 pears in a way, that I can only sell one fruit at a time (I can only sell oranges or apples or pears on different days never any of them together)?

Best regards,
Urban