-   -   If statement with generic value (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/214289-if-statement-generic-value.html)

Blessedx3

If statement with generic value

I have a spreadsheet for recording Board members' payments. All 4 quarters
are on one sheet with with subtotals after each quarter (cells C13, C18, C23
& C28) and a "Total Due This Quarter" in cell C31. What I want to happen in
C31 is only give the total for the current quarter. Is there a way to do
that even when I don't have a specific value in the subtotal cells?

T. Valko

If statement with generic value

Maybe this:

=CHOOSE(CEILING(MONTH(NOW())/3,1),C13,C18,C23,C28)

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Blessedx3" wrote in message
I have a spreadsheet for recording Board members' payments. All 4 quarters
are on one sheet with with subtotals after each quarter (cells C13, C18,
C23
& C28) and a "Total Due This Quarter" in cell C31. What I want to happen
in
C31 is only give the total for the current quarter. Is there a way to do
that even when I don't have a specific value in the subtotal cells?

Blessedx3

If statement with generic value

That won't work. I don't have a specific month listed, just the total for
the quarter - "Total First Quarter" in C13, "Total Second Quarter" in C18,
etc.

"Blessedx3" wrote in message
I have a spreadsheet for recording Board members' payments. All 4 quarters
are on one sheet with with subtotals after each quarter (cells C13, C18,
C23
& C28) and a "Total Due This Quarter" in cell C31. What I want to happen
in
C31 is only give the total for the current quarter. Is there a way to do
that even when I don't have a specific value in the subtotal cells?

Harlan Grove[_2_]

If statement with generic value

"T. Valko" wrote...
Maybe this:

=CHOOSE(CEILING(MONTH(NOW())/3,1),C13,C18,C23,C28)

Save a function call CEILING(MONTH(NOW())/3,1) - (MONTH(NOW())+2)/3
since CHOOSE truncates its 1st argument to integers.

Rick Rothstein

If statement with generic value

Did you try the code before ruling it out? The CEILING(MONTH(NOW())/3,1)
part of the formula returns the current quarter and has nothing to do with
months on your worksheet.

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"Blessedx3" wrote in message
I have a spreadsheet for recording Board members' payments. All 4
quarters
are on one sheet with with subtotals after each quarter (cells C13,
C18,
C23
& C28) and a "Total Due This Quarter" in cell C31. What I want to
happen
in
C31 is only give the total for the current quarter. Is there a way to
do
that even when I don't have a specific value in the subtotal cells?

T. Valko

If statement with generic value

That calculates the (calendar) quarter number based on TODAY'S date and
returns the value from one of 4 cells based on the quarter number.

If that isn't what you wanted then I don't understand.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP