-   -   Formula to Match Values (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/213994-formula-match-values.html)

maperalia

Formula to Match Values

I wonder if you can help me to setup this formula.
I have values located in the excel cell as shown below:

A B C D E F G
1 bag 24 24 24 72 63 top
2 tube 24 24 21 69
3 cord 24 24 18 66
4 top 24 21 18 63
5 center 24 21 15 60
6 paper 24 21 12 57

Basically, what I am doing is:
1.- Taking the sum for each row (B+C+D).
2.- Compare and match values on the column "E" with the number located in
the cell €œ F1€.
3.- Write in the cell €œG1€ description (located in the column "A") of the
row found.

In my sample the selected row is number 5 which is cell €F1=63€ and cell €œH1
= top€.
Do you thing you can help me to get a formula to automate this procedure?

Thanks in advance.
Maperalia

PCLIVE

Formula to Match Values

Here's one way:

=INDIRECT("A"&MATCH(F1,E1:E6,0))

However, what if there is not a match of F1 in E1:E6?

HTH,
Paul

--

"Maperalia" wrote in message
I wonder if you can help me to setup this formula.
I have values located in the excel cell as shown below:

A B C D E F G
1 bag 24 24 24 72 63 top
2 tube 24 24 21 69
3 cord 24 24 18 66
4 top 24 21 18 63
5 center 24 21 15 60
6 paper 24 21 12 57

Basically, what I am doing is:
1.- Taking the sum for each row (B+C+D).
2.- Compare and match values on the column "E" with the number located in
the cell " F1".
3.- Write in the cell "G1" description (located in the column "A") of the
row found.

In my sample the selected row is number 5 which is cell "F1=63" and cell
"H1
= top".
Do you thing you can help me to get a formula to automate this procedure?

Thanks in advance.
Maperalia

T. Valko

Formula to Match Values

Try this:

=INDEX(A1:A6,MATCH(F1,E1:E6,0))

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Maperalia" wrote in message
[...]

Paul;
I used you formula and it working only when I place the data starting from
A1. If the data starts at A2 the formula snap the information.

Thanks very much.
Maperalia

"Maperalia" wrote in message
[...]

Biff;
Thanks for the formula. I plotted it and it is working PERFECTLY!!!!!.
However, I noticed that when it does not find the match number the formula
shows me "#N/A" ".
Could you please tell me how to add to the formula to tell me "NO MATCH WAS
FOUND".?

Kind regards.
Maperalia

"T. Valko" wrote:

Try this:

=INDEX(A1:A6,MATCH(F1,E1:E6,0))

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Maperalia" wrote in message
[...]

One way,

=IF(ISERROR(MATCH(F1,E1:E6,0)),"",INDEX(A1:A6,MATC H(F1,E1:E6,0)))

Regards,
Paul

--

"Maperalia" wrote in message
Biff;
Thanks for the formula. I plotted it and it is working PERFECTLY!!!!!.
However, I noticed that when it does not find the match number the formula
shows me "#N/A" ".
Could you please tell me how to add to the formula to tell me "NO MATCH
WAS
FOUND".?

Kind regards.
Maperalia

"T. Valko" wrote:

Try this:

=INDEX(A1:A6,MATCH(F1,E1:E6,0))

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Maperalia" wrote in message
[...]

=IF(COUNTIF(E1:E6,F1),INDEX(A1:A6,MATCH(F1,E1:E6,0 )),"No Match Found")

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Maperalia" wrote in message
Biff;
Thanks for the formula. I plotted it and it is working PERFECTLY!!!!!.
However, I noticed that when it does not find the match number the formula
shows me "#N/A" ".
Could you please tell me how to add to the formula to tell me "NO MATCH
WAS
FOUND".?

Kind regards.
Maperalia

"T. Valko" wrote:

Try this:

=INDEX(A1:A6,MATCH(F1,E1:E6,0))

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Maperalia" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks very much.It is working perfectly!!!!!!!!

Maperalia

"Maperalia" wrote in message
Biff;
Thanks for the formula. I plotted it and it is working PERFECTLY!!!!!.
However, I noticed that when it does not find the match number the formula
shows me "#N/A" ".
Could you please tell me how to add to the formula to tell me "NO MATCH
WAS
FOUND".?

Kind regards.
Maperalia

"T. Valko" wrote:

Try this:

=INDEX(A1:A6,MATCH(F1,E1:E6,0))

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Maperalia" wrote in message
Biff;
Thanks for the formula. I plotted it and it is working PERFECTLY!!!!!.
However, I noticed that when it does not find the match number the formula
shows me "#N/A" ".
Could you please tell me how to add to the formula to tell me "NO MATCH
WAS
FOUND".?

Kind regards.
Maperalia

"T. Valko" wrote:

Try this:

=INDEX(A1:A6,MATCH(F1,E1:E6,0))

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Maperalia" wrote in message
Biff;
Thanks for the formula. I plotted it and it is working PERFECTLY!!!!!.
However, I noticed that when it does not find the match number the
formula
shows me "#N/A" ".
Could you please tell me how to add to the formula to tell me "NO MATCH
WAS
FOUND".?

Kind regards.
Maperalia