-   -   Formatting a cell based on other cells' data (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/212208-formatting-cell-based-other-cells-data.html)

collyer3

Formatting a cell based on other cells' data

I am trying to make a cell change color automatically based off of if data is
entered into another cell. But I also want that cell color to be based off of
what cell the data is entered in. For example: If I enter data into cell G8,
I want cell I11 to turn yellow. But when I enter data into G9, I want the
cell to turn green, and so on. Is there any way to do this?

Shane Devenshire[_2_]

Formatting a cell based on other cells' data

Hi,

In Excel 2003 you are limited to 3 conditions, although in 2007 that is
unlimited. The basic idea is

To conditionally format your cell(s):

In 2003:
1. Select the cell you want to format
2. Choose Format, Conditional Formatting
3. Choose Formula is from the first drop down
4. In the second box enter the formula:
=G8<""
5. Click the Format button
6. Choose a color on the Patterns tab (or any available option)
7. Click OK twice.

In 2007:
1. Highlight all the cells on the rows you want formatted
2. Choose Home, Conditional Formatting, New Rule
3. Choose Use a formula to determine which cell to format
4. In the Format values where this formula is true enter the following
formula:
=G8<""
5. Click the Format button and choose a format.
6. Click OK twice

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire