-   -   Vlookup w/ AND function (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/210946-vlookup-w-function.html)

dannyboy8

Vlookup w/ AND function

I have a large worksheet and the 1st column is accounts and the 2nd column is
sub accounts, now there are some accounts that are the repeats and some
subaccounts that are repeats, but never in the same row. I know how to search
using the AND function to find the unique account and subaccount combination,
but is there a way to return the value found by this combination? All I am
getting is TRUE. SAVE ME Excel Gods!!!

T. Valko

Vlookup w/ AND function

Is the value to be returned numeric or text or can it be either?

Are you saying that the combination of the account and subaccount are
unique?

Here's a generic method that returns either text or numbers.

Array entered** :

=INDEX(C1:C10,MATCH(1,(A1:A10=account)*(B1:B10=sub account),0))

CTRL,SHIFT,ENTER (not just ENTER)

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"dannyboy8" wrote in message
I have a large worksheet and the 1st column is accounts and the 2nd column
is
sub accounts, now there are some accounts that are the repeats and some
subaccounts that are repeats, but never in the same row. I know how to
search
using the AND function to find the unique account and subaccount
combination,
but is there a way to return the value found by this combination? All I am
getting is TRUE. SAVE ME Excel Gods!!!

dannyboy8

Vlookup w/ AND function

Biff in this case it is a #, here's an example of what I mean:

Account Subaccount Balance
305000 00-00-000-EQ-00-RS051 #
305000 00-00-000-EQ-00-RS052 #
305500 00-00-000-EQ-00-RS051 #
305500 00-00-000-EQ-00-RS052 #

As you can see there are like acts and subs, but the combo of the 2 are
unique, would you formula work to return the balance (separate column) based
on the combinations?

"dannyboy8" wrote in message
I have a large worksheet and the 1st column is accounts and the 2nd column
is
sub accounts, now there are some accounts that are the repeats and some
subaccounts that are repeats, but never in the same row. I know how to
search
using the AND function to find the unique account and subaccount
combination,
but is there a way to return the value found by this combination? All I am
getting is TRUE. SAVE ME Excel Gods!!!

T. Valko

Vlookup w/ AND function

would you formula work to return the balance (separate column)
based on the combinations?

Yes, but this one is "less confusing" :

E1 = some account number
F1 = some subaccount number

=SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A10=E1),--(B1:B10=F1),C1:C10)

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"dannyboy8" wrote in message
I have a large worksheet and the 1st column is accounts and the 2nd
column
is
sub accounts, now there are some accounts that are the repeats and some
subaccounts that are repeats, but never in the same row. I know how to
search
using the AND function to find the unique account and subaccount
combination,
but is there a way to return the value found by this combination? All I
am
getting is TRUE. SAVE ME Excel Gods!!!

dannyboy8

Vlookup w/ AND function

Biff, that worked great!, got 1 quick question, what is the functionality of
the dashes?? (--)

"dannyboy8" wrote in message
I have a large worksheet and the 1st column is accounts and the 2nd
column
is
sub accounts, now there are some accounts that are the repeats and some
subaccounts that are repeats, but never in the same row. I know how to
search
using the AND function to find the unique account and subaccount
combination,
but is there a way to return the value found by this combination? All I
am
getting is TRUE. SAVE ME Excel Gods!!!

T. Valko

Vlookup w/ AND function

SUMPRODUCT multiplies arrays of numbers together to get a result.

Each of these expressions will return an array of either TRUE or FALSE:

A1:A10=E1
B1:B10=F1

The double unary minus "--" is used to coerce those TRUE and FALSE to
numbers that SUMPRODUCT can then use to calculate the result. --TRUE gets
coerced to numeric 1 and --FALSE gets coerced to numeric 0.

See this for a comprehensive analysis of SUMPRODUCT:

http://xldynamic.com/source/xld.SUMPRODUCT.html

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP