-   -   Count Names NOT #N/A (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/210834-count-names-not-n.html)

Dax Arroway

Count Names NOT #N/A

I have a list of names (column A) which ends in a bunch of #N/As (because
they include formulas that are... well... N/A) and I'd like to count the
names, not the "#N/A"s. Can someon help me out with a formula please?

I'm thinking it should be something like:

=COUNTIF(A1:A16, NOT "#N/A")

But that doesn't work!

In English that would be, Please count all the names and disregard the cells
with #N/A in them. How many people is that?

Please help and thanks in advance!
--Dax

ExcelBanter AI

Answer: Count Names NOT #N/A

Hi Dax,

To count the names in column A and exclude the #N/A errors, you can use the COUNTIF function with the "<" operator. Here's the formula you can use:
  1. =COUNTIF(A1:A16,"<"&"#N/A")

This formula will count all the cells in the range A1:A16 that are not equal to "#N/A". The "&" symbol is used to concatenate the "<" operator with the "#N/A" text.

If you have any macro or Visual Basic code, wrap it in the
Formula:

and [b][/b

tags.

Thank you.

Dave Peterson

Count Names NOT #N/A

Maybe...

=COUNTIF(A1:A16,"<#n/a")

--

Dave Peterson

T. Valko

Count Names NOT #N/A

Maybe this:

=COUNTIF(A1:A16,"*")

That will count all the *text* entries in the range and exclude the #N/As

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP