-   -   need help with if statement that calculate minimum figure (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/210512-need-help-if-statement-calculate-minimum-figure.html)

KateZed

need help with if statement that calculate minimum figure

I am trying to calualate an if statement which if false returns a figure, but
i want that figure if under a certain amount to return a minimum figure.

Eg. If a2 = yes then return $5 if no or unknown then return A4*A5 but with a
minimum of $5

Chip Pearson

need help with if statement that calculate minimum figure

Try something like

=IF(A2="yes",5,MIN(A4*A5,5))

Cordially,
Chip Pearson
Microsoft MVP
Excel Product Group
Pearson Software Consulting, LLC
www.cpearson.com
(email on web site)

On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 16:47:01 -0800, KateZed
wrote:

I am trying to calualate an if statement which if false returns a figure, but
i want that figure if under a certain amount to return a minimum figure.

Eg. If a2 = yes then return $5 if no or unknown then return A4*A5 but with a
minimum of $5

joeu2004

need help with if statement that calculate minimum figure

On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 16:47:01 -0800, KateZed wrote:
If a2 = yes then return $5 if no or unknown then return
A4*A5 but with a minimum of $5

On Nov 16, 5:16*pm, Chip Pearson wrote:
Try something like
=IF(A2="yes",5,MIN(A4*A5,5))

I suspect that should be MAX, not MIN.

If I say, for example, that the charge is 30 cents per page (A4*A5)
"with a minimum of $5", it means "at least $5". Ergo, for 10 pages,
the charge is $5, not $3 (10*0.30); but for 100 pages, the charge is
$30 (100*0.30), not $5. So I want the maximum of A4*A5 and 5.

No telling if that's what the OP wants, though. English (any natural
language) is ambiguous. People should provide a complete numerical
example.