-   -   materials calculations (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/210423-materials-calculations.html)

Dave

materials calculations

Hi,
My son fits out new houses with shelving. He measures and notes all the
requirements. The data will look something like this:
12 lengths of 0.9 metres
15 lengths of 1.4 metres
8 lengths of 2.1 metres
4 lengths of 2.5 meters

Shelving comes in a range of standard lengths: 1.8m, 2.4m, 3.0m, 3.6m

Currently he spends a great deal of time trying to figure how many of each
standard length to buy, to keep waste (and therefore cost) to a minimum. He
asked me if Excel could do this sort of thing. €œOf course!€ I said. However,
after several attempts, I am no closer to a solution than when I started.
Can anyone tell me how to even start, or point me to a site that deals with
this sort of issue?
Regards €“ Dave.

Niek Otten

materials calculations