-   -   today function in an "if" formula (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/210209-today-function-if-formula.html)

RainyDay

today function in an "if" formula

I tried to make a formula that would return a 1 only if today is past a
certain date. I tried
=IF(TODAY()11/14/2008,1,0)
but it returns a 1 irregardless of what date I put in the formula. Where did
I go wrong?

Glenn

RainyDay wrote:
I tried to make a formula that would return a 1 only if today is past a
certain date. I tried
=IF(TODAY()11/14/2008,1,0)
but it returns a 1 irregardless of what date I put in the formula. Where did
I go wrong?

=IF(TODAY()DATE(2008,11,14),1,0)

John C[_2_]

today function in an "if" formula

The Date needs to be in quotes, and ensure the date isn't "ambiguous".
=IF(TODAY()"11/14/2008",1,0)
Or you could put the date in cell A1 and
=IF(TODAY()A1,1,0)
--
** John C **
Please remember if your question is answered, to mark it answered :). It

"RainyDay" wrote:

I tried to make a formula that would return a 1 only if today is past a
certain date. I tried
=IF(TODAY()11/14/2008,1,0)
but it returns a 1 irregardless of what date I put in the formula. Where did
I go wrong?

Alan Moseley

today function in an "if" formula

try =IF(TODAY()DATE(2008,11,14),1,0)
--
Alan Moseley IT Consultancy
http://www.amitc.co.uk

If I have solved your problem, please click Yes below. Thanks.

"RainyDay" wrote:

I tried to make a formula that would return a 1 only if today is past a
certain date. I tried
=IF(TODAY()11/14/2008,1,0)
but it returns a 1 irregardless of what date I put in the formula. Where did
I go wrong?

Pete_UK

today function in an "if" formula

If you want to keep that date in a recognisable format, try it this
way:

IF(TODAY()--"11/14/2008",1,0)

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Nov 13, 4:10*pm, RainyDay
wrote:
I tried to make a formula that would return a 1 only if today is past a
certain date. I tried
=IF(TODAY()11/14/2008,1,0)
but it returns a 1 irregardless of what date I put in the formula. Where did
I go wrong?

RainyDay

today function in an "if" formula

Thank you everyone, that was a big help!

wrote:
I tried to make a formula that would return a 1 only if today is past a
certain date. I tried
=IF(TODAY()11/14/2008,1,0)
but it returns a 1 irregardless of what date I put in the formula. Where did
I go wrong?

Pete_UK

today function in an "if" formula

You're welcome - thanks for feeding back.

Pete

wrote:
I tried to make a formula that would return a 1 only if today is past a
certain date. I tried
=IF(TODAY()11/14/2008,1,0)
but it returns a 1 irregardless of what date I put in the formula. Where did
I go wrong?- Hide quoted text -

David Biddulph[_2_]

today function in an "if" formula

Where you went wrong is that you compared not with a date but with a small
number (11 divided by 14, and then that result divided by 2008).
Others have suggested ways of getting it right.
--
David Biddulph

"RainyDay" wrote in message
I tried to make a formula that would return a 1 only if today is past a
certain date. I tried
=IF(TODAY()11/14/2008,1,0)
but it returns a 1 irregardless of what date I put in the formula. Where
did
I go wrong?

Dana DeLouis[_3_]

RainyDay wrote:
I tried to make a formula that would return a 1 only if today is past a
certain date. I tried
=IF(TODAY()11/14/2008,1,0)
but it returns a 1 irregardless of what date I put in the formula. Where did
I go wrong?

If it's just 1/0, just another way...

=--(TODAY()DATE(2008,11,14))

- -