-   -   AUTO NUMBER (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/209598-auto-number.html)

ISIDOROS KMS

AUTO NUMBER

I NEED A FUNCTION , MACRO TO NUMBERV AUTOMATICALLY IN COLUMN "A" THE THINGS I WRITE IN COLUMN "B"

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE

Mike H

AUTO NUMBER

Hi,

This isn't clear but how about this. Put a 1 in A1 and then this in A2 and
drag down

=IF(B2<"",MAX($A$1:A1)+1,"")

Also please switch of the CAPS, it's considered to shouting and makes things
difficult to read.

Mike

"ISIDOROS KMS" wrote:

I NEED A FUNCTION , MACRO TO NUMBERV AUTOMATICALLY IN COLUMN "A" THE THINGS I WRITE IN COLUMN "B"

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE

Rick Rothstein

AUTO NUMBER

I think your interpretation of what the OP wants (number only the cells that
are filled in) is probably correct; however, your method requires that the
first item in Column B must be located on Row 1. The following formula put
in A1 and copied down does not have that requirement...

=IF(AND(B1<"",COUNTA(B$1:B1)0),COUNTA(B$1:B1),"" )

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"ISIDOROS KMS" wrote:

I NEED A FUNCTION , MACRO TO NUMBERV AUTOMATICALLY IN COLUMN "A" THE
THINGS I WRITE IN COLUMN "B"

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE

ShaneDevenshire

AUTO NUMBER

Hi,

I know you probably don't want this, but if you enter 1 in cell A1 and 2 in
A2, then highlight both and double click the fill handle Excel will number
sequentially as far down at the data goes in column B.

If you want a formula and you data is solid, no blanks in column B until
there are no more entries, then you can use the formula
=IF(B1<"",ROW(A1),"")
Or if you are putting the formula in A1 then
=IF(B1<"",ROW(),"")
Copy these down as far as necessary.

if this helps, please click the Yes button
--
Thanks,
Shane Devenshire