-   -   Create auto numbering (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/209474-create-auto-numbering.html)

Manos

Create auto numbering

I have an excel where in column A i want to create an auto numbering.
In column B i have some codes and value No.
SO i want to count only the lines that have codes, an no the lines that have
value No.

A B
1 sub1
2 sub2
NO
3 sub3

thanks in advance for your prompt response

Manos

Glenn

Create auto numbering

Manos wrote:
I have an excel where in column A i want to create an auto numbering.
In column B i have some codes and value No.
SO i want to count only the lines that have codes, an no the lines that have
value No.

A B
1 sub1
2 sub2
NO
3 sub3

thanks in advance for your prompt response

Manos

Assuming your data starts in row 1, put the following in A1:

=IF(B1="NO","",COUNTIF($B$1:B1,"<NO"))

Glenn

Create auto numbering

Glenn wrote:
Manos wrote:
I have an excel where in column A i want to create an auto numbering.
In column B i have some codes and value No.
SO i want to count only the lines that have codes, an no the lines
that have value No.

A B 1 sub1
2 sub2
NO
3 sub3

thanks in advance for your prompt response

Manos

Assuming your data starts in row 1, put the following in A1:

=IF(B1="NO","",COUNTIF($B$1:B1,"<NO"))

And then fill down as needed.

Mike H

Create auto numbering

Hi,

Put a 1 in a1 then this formula in a2 and drag down

=IF(B2<"No",MAX($A$1:A1)+1,"")

Mike

"Manos" wrote:

I have an excel where in column A i want to create an auto numbering.
In column B i have some codes and value No.
SO i want to count only the lines that have codes, an no the lines that have
value No.

A B
1 sub1
2 sub2
NO
3 sub3

thanks in advance for your prompt response

Manos

Alan Moseley

Create auto numbering

Assuming that you want the numbering to skip if column contaibns "No", try
entering this into A1 and copying it down:-

=IF(B1<"No",ROW(B1)-COUNTIF($B$1:B1,"No"),"")
--
Alan Moseley IT Consultancy
http://www.amitc.co.uk

If I have solved your problem, please click Yes below. Thanks.

"Manos" wrote:

I have an excel where in column A i want to create an auto numbering.
In column B i have some codes and value No.
SO i want to count only the lines that have codes, an no the lines that have
value No.

A B
1 sub1
2 sub2
NO
3 sub3

thanks in advance for your prompt response

Manos

John C[_2_]

Create auto numbering

Assuming you start number in A1...
A1: =IF($B1="No","",ROW()-COUNTIF($B$1:$B1,"No"))
If you are starting your numbering anywhere below that, just subtract an
additional number that is 1 less than the current row, and change your range
accordingly...
i.e.
A4: =IF($B4="No","",ROW()-COUNTIF($B$4:$B4,"No"))
--
** John C **

"Manos" wrote:

I have an excel where in column A i want to create an auto numbering.
In column B i have some codes and value No.
SO i want to count only the lines that have codes, an no the lines that have
value No.

A B
1 sub1
2 sub2
NO
3 sub3

thanks in advance for your prompt response

Manos

ShaneDevenshire

Create auto numbering

Hi,

Really not much of an improvement, but a tiny bit shorter:

=IF(B2="No","",MAX(A$1:A1)+1)

--
Thanks,
Shane Devenshire