-   -   Conditional formatting/non blank cells (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/209338-conditional-formatting-non-blank-cells.html)

Caroline

Conditional formatting/non blank cells

Hello,
(Excel 2007) I am trying to format a cell based on another cell being "non
blank". I thought the non blank formula was "<" but it's not working, e.g.
=$E$2="<"
This =$E$2="" works for blank cells but I need it to be "non blank".
Thank you for your help,
Caroline

Gary''s Student

Conditional formatting/non blank cells

=$E$2<""
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200812

Glenn

Caroline wrote:
Hello,
(Excel 2007) I am trying to format a cell based on another cell being "non
blank". I thought the non blank formula was "<" but it's not working, e.g.
=$E$2="<"
This =$E$2="" works for blank cells but I need it to be "non blank".
Thank you for your help,
Caroline

=$E$2<""

Sheeloo[_3_]

Conditional formatting/non blank cells

Use
=$E$2<""

Two double quotes without anything in between to represent blank.
Or use =ISBLANK($E$2)

Be careful with absolute references if you are going to use this over
multiple cells.

"Caroline" wrote:

Hello,
(Excel 2007) I am trying to format a cell based on another cell being "non
blank". I thought the non blank formula was "<" but it's not working, e.g.
=$E$2="<"
This =$E$2="" works for blank cells but I need it to be "non blank".
Thank you for your help,
Caroline

Sheeloo[_3_]

Conditional formatting/non blank cells