-   -   Sum formula to include new rows added (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/209254-sum-formula-include-new-rows-added.html)

desperateforanswers

Sum formula to include new rows added

Problem:
I have a simple formula adding about 20 rows or so but my problem is that
when new rows are added at the bottom, the formula doesn't pick up the new
rows...is there anything I can do to have the fomula automatically pick up
those cells without having to check formulas all the time?

Ashish Mathur[_2_]

Sum formula to include new rows added

Hi,

Convert the range to a list by Data List Create a List. Please ensure
that there are no blank rows. Once you convert the range to a list, it
become auto-expanding

Ashish Mathur
Microsoft Excel MVP
www.ashishmathur.com

"desperateforanswers" wrote
in message ...
Problem:
I have a simple formula adding about 20 rows or so but my problem is that
when new rows are added at the bottom, the formula doesn't pick up the new
rows...is there anything I can do to have the fomula automatically pick up
those cells without having to check formulas all the time?

Pete_UK

Sum formula to include new rows added

Supose you have a formula like:

=SUM(A1:A20)

If you insert a new row 15, for example, then the formula will
automatically adjust to:

=SUM(A1:A21)

However, if you just enter a new value at the bottom of the range in
cell A22, the formula will not adjust.

You could have this as your formula:

=SUM(A;A)

then it will not matter if you insert a row or just add numbers to the
bottom of your existing list - this will add all numbers in column A,
wherever they are.

Hope this helps.

Pete