-   -   lookup values tied to an indirect validation (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/208810-lookup-values-tied-indirect-validation.html)

abraun

lookup values tied to an indirect validation

I am trying to use a cell with an indirect validation to lookup a value in a
list. It does not work. I tried to fix the error by adding a column that will
equal the value in the cell with the indirect value. It does not
autopopulate, instead I have to select the value from a list. and the lookup
formula still does not work. Is there another way I should approach this?
I am trying to say that for item x, the unit of measure sjpuld be sq feet,
for item y the unit of measure should be cu feet. etc.

Pete_UK

lookup values tied to an indirect validation

It's always a good idea to post the formula(e) you have tried, even if
these do not work, so that we can point out where they may be in
error.

Pete

On Nov 3, 3:00*pm, abraun wrote:
I am trying to use a cell with an indirect validation to lookup a value in a
list. It does not work. I tried to fix the error by adding a column that will
equal the value in the cell with the indirect value. It does not
autopopulate, instead I have to select the value from a list. and the lookup
formula still does not work. Is there another way I should approach this?
I am trying to say that for item x, the unit of measure sjpuld be sq feet,
for item y the unit of measure should be cu feet. etc.

abraun

lookup values tied to an indirect validation

I3 =LOOKUP(E3,UOM!A1:A111,UOM!B1:B111)

E3 =INDIRECT(D3)
D3 =Type

The table for the lookup is on worksheet intitles UOM
This table has 2 columns, one with the values from E3 and one with the
corresponding UOM.