-   -   Variable Or Command (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/208590-variable-command.html)

str83dgeboi

Variable Or Command

I am trying to figure this out... I want to do something like

=OR(K2:K(L2) <=30) where L2 is a variable number, so it would end up being

L2 = 4 (but it is the sum of several numbers used else where)
=OR(K2:K4 <=30)
and this way it checks if
K2 <= 30
K3 <= 30
K4 <= 30

And will return True if one of these is true...

I tried =OR(INDIRECT("K"&2&":K"&$L2) <=30)
Which only checks the first one and not the others

Any ideas?

John C[_2_]

Variable Or Command

Simplified your formula a little bit:
=OR(INDIRECT("K2:K"&$L2)<=30)
But your formula is correct as is, however, it is an **array** formula. When
you enter the formula, instead of just pressing the enter or tab key, you
must press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER. You will know you entered it correctly because
it will be surrounded by the curly brackets in the formula bar { }
--
** John C **

"str83dgeboi" wrote:

I am trying to figure this out... I want to do something like

=OR(K2:K(L2) <=30) where L2 is a variable number, so it would end up being

L2 = 4 (but it is the sum of several numbers used else where)
=OR(K2:K4 <=30)
and this way it checks if
K2 <= 30
K3 <= 30
K4 <= 30

And will return True if one of these is true...

I tried =OR(INDIRECT("K"&2&":K"&$L2) <=30)
Which only checks the first one and not the others

Any ideas?

Peo Sjoblom[_2_]

Variable Or Command

=COUNTIF(K2:INDEX(K2:K10000,L2),"<=30")0

will return TRUE if any of the values of K2:K(L2) are less than or equal to
30

it's hard to understand what you are trying to do, if this is possible what
would
you expect the result to be if all values were <=30?

Peo Sjoblom

"str83dgeboi" wrote in message
I am trying to figure this out... I want to do something like

=OR(K2:K(L2) <=30) where L2 is a variable number, so it would end up being

L2 = 4 (but it is the sum of several numbers used else where)
=OR(K2:K4 <=30)
and this way it checks if
K2 <= 30
K3 <= 30
K4 <= 30

And will return True if one of these is true...

I tried =OR(INDIRECT("K"&2&":K"&$L2) <=30)
Which only checks the first one and not the others

Any ideas?

ShaneDevenshire

Variable Or Command

Hi,

I not exactly clear if your are just trying to return TRUE if anyone is true
or you want to sum all the elements that would return TRUE. Lets suppose the
latter

=SUM(IF(INDIRECT("K2:K"&L2)<=30,INDIRECT("K2:K"&L2 ),0))

This is array entered (Shift+Ctrl+Enter) and it sums all the item in the
range K2:Kx which are <=30.

Thanks,
Shane Devenshire

"str83dgeboi" wrote:

I am trying to figure this out... I want to do something like

=OR(K2:K(L2) <=30) where L2 is a variable number, so it would end up being

L2 = 4 (but it is the sum of several numbers used else where)
=OR(K2:K4 <=30)
and this way it checks if
K2 <= 30
K3 <= 30
K4 <= 30

And will return True if one of these is true...

I tried =OR(INDIRECT("K"&2&":K"&$L2) <=30)
Which only checks the first one and not the others

Any ideas?

str83dgeboi

Variable Or Command

I wanted to check if one is true... so here is a better example I hope.
First off there are 4 donations and if any of them have been in the last 30
days I want it to say true. So it could be 0,1,2,3,4 that are true, but I
only need to know if any of them are true

A = True or False
B = donor ID
I = donation date
K = "=TODAY()-I2", finds todays date and subtracts I's date so I get the #
of days it has been
L = "=COUNTIF(B:B, B2)" so it checks B to find how many gifts a person donated

So a table might look like
Row B K L
1 2 45 4
2 2 30
3 2 90
4 2 22
5
6 3 45 2
7 3 90
8
9 6 120 1
10
11 7 20 2
12 7 50

Now what I am having trouble doing is getting it to check Column B at the
current row L number of times

So it would be like for column A
row 1 =OR(INDIRECT(K1:K(1+(L1)))<=30)
row 6 A =OR(INDIRECT(K6:K(6+(L6)))<=30)
row 9 A =A =OR(INDIRECT(K9:K(9+(L9)))<=30)
Row 11 A =OR(INDIRECT(K11:K(11+(L11)))<=30)

I am looking for a quick way of doing this so anyone could just copy a
forumla and paste it for a new donor and not have to change anything...

idk If that was any better

"str83dgeboi" wrote:

I am trying to figure this out... I want to do something like

=OR(K2:K(L2) <=30) where L2 is a variable number, so it would end up being

L2 = 4 (but it is the sum of several numbers used else where)
=OR(K2:K4 <=30)
and this way it checks if
K2 <= 30
K3 <= 30
K4 <= 30

And will return True if one of these is true...

I tried =OR(INDIRECT("K"&2&":K"&$L2) <=30)
Which only checks the first one and not the others

Any ideas?

Spiky

Variable Or Command

"str83dgeboi" wrote:

I am trying to figure this out... I want to do something like

=OR(K2:K(L2) <=30) where L2 is a variable number, so it would end up being

L2 = 4 (but it is the sum of several numbers used else where)
=OR(K2:K4 <=30)
and this way it checks if
K2 <= 30
K3 <= 30
K4 <= 30

And will return True if one of these is true...

I tried =OR(INDIRECT("K"&2&":K"&$L2) <=30)
Which only checks the first one and not the others

Any ideas?

All you need is Peo's formula, but even less than that...
=COUNTIF(K2:K1000,"<30")0

Spiky

Variable Or Command

On Nov 7, 3:25*pm, Spiky wrote:

"str83dgeboi" wrote:

I am trying to figure this out... I want to do something like

=OR(K2:K(L2) <=30) where L2 is a variable number, so it would end up being

L2 = 4 (but it is the sum of several numbers used else where)
=OR(K2:K4 <=30)
and this way it checks if
K2 <= 30
K3 <= 30
K4 <= 30

And will return True if one of these is true...

I tried =OR(INDIRECT("K"&2&":K"&$L2) <=30)
Which only checks the first one and not the others

Any ideas?

All you need is Peo's formula, but even less than that...
=COUNTIF(K2:K1000,"<30")0

Ah, I wish you could delete here, sometimes. Nevermind that last post.

Here, instead you need a more advanced COUNTIF, which we usually use
SUMPRODUCT to do:
=SUMPRODUCT(--($B$2:$B$1000=B2),--($K$2:$K$1000<=30))0

I've assumed you are putting this in Column M or something and want it
to show for every line, so copy down the column. If you have a
different layout, it would have to be modified. But it should return
TRUE if any are 30 or less, FALSE if none are.

str83dgeboi

Variable Or Command

Sorry the solution was there all the time, I just had problems with copying
it in... I ended up with:

=COUNTIF($K263:INDEX($K263:K10260,$L263),"<=30")0