-   -   Time calcualtion in minutes (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/208318-time-calcualtion-minutes.html)

Judy Gleeson

Time calcualtion in minutes

Excel 2007

Working with an .xls template used as a timesheet. Three columns time
started, time finished and time taken.

Can Time Taken be shown as minutes? We can subtract end from start time and
get to see it as hh:mm but can't get just mm as the correct total number of
minutes. eg if 9:30 to 11:00 is 1 1/5 hours, can we see a total as 90 minutes
somehow?

JudyG

Bernie Deitrick

Time calcualtion in minutes

Judy,

Format the cell as custom with the format

[mm]:ss

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"Judy Gleeson" wrote in message
Excel 2007

Working with an .xls template used as a timesheet. Three columns time
started, time finished and time taken.

Can Time Taken be shown as minutes? We can subtract end from start time
and
get to see it as hh:mm but can't get just mm as the correct total number
of
minutes. eg if 9:30 to 11:00 is 1 1/5 hours, can we see a total as 90
minutes
somehow?

JudyG

David Biddulph[_2_]

Time calcualtion in minutes

If your 9:30 and 11:00 are in A1 and B1 respectively, =B1-A1 will show 1:30
(1 1/2 hours, not 1 1/5), and =(B1-A1)*24*60 (if you format as general or
number) will show 90. If you just format the =B1-A1 as [m] it would show as
90, but the number in the cell would still be 90/(24*60) as Excel stores
times as fractions of a day.
--
David Biddulph