-   -   numbers starting with 0 (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/207060-numbers-starting-0-a.html)

mccomb

numbers starting with 0

I have a group of 6 digit numbers starting with "0". When I enter this in
the cell, it shows up in the cell correctly. BUT up above the 0 gets
dropped. I need the 0 to stay there. What can I do so the 0 does not drop
off in the top box.

Bernard Liengme

numbers starting with 0

1) type an apostrophe (single quote) before the number; it will not be
displayed or printed
or
2) use a custom format of: 000000
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"mccomb" wrote in message
I have a group of 6 digit numbers starting with "0". When I enter this in
the cell, it shows up in the cell correctly. BUT up above the 0 gets
dropped. I need the 0 to stay there. What can I do so the 0 does not
drop
off in the top box.

Gary''s Student

numbers starting with 0

Precede the value with an apostrophe (single quote)
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200808

muddan madhu

numbers starting with 0

use ( ' ) Apostrophe

On Oct 20, 7:27*pm, mccomb wrote:
I have a group of 6 digit numbers starting with "0". *When I enter this in
the cell, it shows up in the cell correctly. *BUT up above the 0 gets
dropped. *I need the 0 to stay there. *What can I do so the 0 does not drop
off in the top box.

Pete_UK

numbers starting with 0

You can enter the numbers with an apostrophe in front of them, like:

'012345

The apostrophe will not show in the cell - this tells Excel to treat
the cell as text.

Or, you could pre-format the cells as text before entering your
numbers.

Or, you could apply a Custom format to the cells, set as "000000" -
the numbers will be treated as numbers and can be used in
calculations.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Oct 20, 3:27*pm, mccomb wrote:
I have a group of 6 digit numbers starting with "0". *When I enter this in
the cell, it shows up in the cell correctly. *BUT up above the 0 gets
dropped. *I need the 0 to stay there. *What can I do so the 0 does not drop
off in the top box.

Max

numbers starting with 0

One way is to preformat the col as TEXT
Or, enter a preceding apostrophe
(both ways above will result in text numbers)

Alternatively, if you need it to remain as real numbers but appear displayed
with the preceding zeros, try preformatting the col as Custom, Type: 000000
Then just enter the nums as per normal.
--
Max
Singapore