-   -   combining data from multiple sheets (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/20657-combining-data-multiple-sheets.html)

Allen Way via OfficeKB.com

combining data from multiple sheets

I have two worksheets each with different employee data: names, job title,
shift, days off, etc. All the employees in the 2nd sheet are also in the
1st; only some of those in the 1st are in the 2nd. The 2nd is kind of a
subset of the first, however, the only column the two have in common is
Name. I want to combine the two sheets so the info from the 2nd is placed
into new columns in the correct rows of the first. How?

--Allen

JulieD

Hi Allen

using VLOOKUP

say in Sheet 2 you've got
..........A...........B..............C
1....Name.....Hire Date...Dog's Name

and in sheet 1 you've got stuff all the way to column H and you want Hire
Date from sheet to in column I and Dog's Name in column J
the formula for I2 in sheet 1 would be
=VLOOKUP(A2,Sheet2!$A$2:$C$100,2,0)
and the formula for J2 would be