-   -   first letter of weekday (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/206457-first-letter-weekday.html)

Carla

first letter of weekday

I am making a calendar, and need a cell that shows the first letter of the
weekday. i.e. M, T, W, T, F, S, S

I have formatted with "d", but of course that gives me a number. I have
tried =left, but that gave me the first number of the 5 digit serial number.
I have tried "ddd" and then =left, and it keeps converting to a number. Any
help would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Carla

John C[_2_]

first letter of weekday

=LEFT(TEXT(A1,"dddd"),1)

Hope this helps.
--
John C

"Carla" wrote:

I am making a calendar, and need a cell that shows the first letter of the
weekday. i.e. M, T, W, T, F, S, S

I have formatted with "d", but of course that gives me a number. I have
tried =left, but that gave me the first number of the 5 digit serial number.
I have tried "ddd" and then =left, and it keeps converting to a number. Any
help would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Carla

Carla

first letter of weekday

I truly appreciate all the wonderful people in this forum who are so helpful!
It worked perfectly as I'm sure you knew it would!
THANK YOU JOHN C!

"John C" wrote:

=LEFT(TEXT(A1,"dddd"),1)

Hope this helps.
--
John C

"Carla" wrote:

I am making a calendar, and need a cell that shows the first letter of the
weekday. i.e. M, T, W, T, F, S, S

I have formatted with "d", but of course that gives me a number. I have
tried =left, but that gave me the first number of the 5 digit serial number.
I have tried "ddd" and then =left, and it keeps converting to a number. Any
help would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Carla

Carla

first letter of weekday

Right now, I have the initial "first letter of weekday" reading from a cell
in which I have typed 10/01/08. That works perfect.

Along with wanting the letters, I also have numbers. I have the day numbers
in cells across the page, 1,2,3 and so on and above each number I have the
first letter of the weekday.

I need to be able to either add 1 day in each subsequent cell to be the next
weekdays first letter OR have the formula read from the corresponding days
number cell.

"John C" wrote:

=LEFT(TEXT(A1,"dddd"),1)

Hope this helps.
--
John C

"Carla" wrote:

I am making a calendar, and need a cell that shows the first letter of the
weekday. i.e. M, T, W, T, F, S, S

I have formatted with "d", but of course that gives me a number. I have
tried =left, but that gave me the first number of the 5 digit serial number.
I have tried "ddd" and then =left, and it keeps converting to a number. Any
help would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Carla

John C[_2_]

first letter of weekday

Take a look at this thread:
http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...b-544e13fc26da

This person set up a calendar, put the 1st day of the month in cell A1, then
had the rest of the spreadsheet populate the date. You could follow this
similar format. If not, post back. Also, as a piece of advice, when posting a
question, try to ask all the questions that are similarly related at the same
time :)
--
John C

"Carla" wrote:

Right now, I have the initial "first letter of weekday" reading from a cell
in which I have typed 10/01/08. That works perfect.

Along with wanting the letters, I also have numbers. I have the day numbers
in cells across the page, 1,2,3 and so on and above each number I have the
first letter of the weekday.

I need to be able to either add 1 day in each subsequent cell to be the next
weekdays first letter OR have the formula read from the corresponding days
number cell.

"John C" wrote:

=LEFT(TEXT(A1,"dddd"),1)

Hope this helps.