-   -   Look up (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/206327-look-up.html)

forevercali

Look up

I am doing a Lookup array. I am getting everything except one item

=LOOKUP(L17,L565:M569)

My array:
Dry/Dry 1
Dry 2
Dry/Wet 3
Wet 4
Wet/Wet 5

I am getting the correct information for all of my catagories except Dry. It
will show a N/A. I am not sure why this is happening. Any input to this
insanity will help?

Thank

Niek Otten

Look up

For LOOKUP the data has to be sorted ascending, so Dry should occur above
Dry/Dry

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"forevercali" wrote in message
I am doing a Lookup array. I am getting everything except one item

=LOOKUP(L17,L565:M569)

My array:
Dry/Dry 1
Dry 2
Dry/Wet 3
Wet 4
Wet/Wet 5

I am getting the correct information for all of my catagories except Dry.
It
will show a N/A. I am not sure why this is happening. Any input to this
insanity will help?

Thank

John C[_2_]

Look up

With a LOOKUP function, the lookup value needs to be alphabetical.
Alphabetizing your list would be DRY ... DRY/DRY ... DRY/WET ... WET ...
WET/WET

You could use VLOOKUP with exact match.
=VLOOKUP(L17,L565:M569,2,FALSE)

Hope this helps.
--
John C

"forevercali" wrote:

I am doing a Lookup array. I am getting everything except one item

=LOOKUP(L17,L565:M569)

My array:
Dry/Dry 1
Dry 2
Dry/Wet 3
Wet 4
Wet/Wet 5

I am getting the correct information for all of my catagories except Dry. It
will show a N/A. I am not sure why this is happening. Any input to this
insanity will help?

Thank

Peo Sjoblom[_2_]

Look up

Why are you using LOOKUP?

If you want what's in M565:M569
with the lookup value matched in L565:L569
use

=VLOOKUP(L17,L565:M569,2,0)

which is an exact lookup

it's just pure luck that you get some of the lookups correct
using your formula

Peo Sjoblom