-   -   Getting a dash wjen updating a formula (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/204996-getting-dash-wjen-updating-formula.html)

Mac

Getting a dash wjen updating a formula

Hi,

Excel 2003 - When I try to update a formula in a cell and hit enter, it
gives me a dash instead of the result of the formula.

Original = = 5 + 5 Cell = 10
Update = = 5 + 4 Cell = -

Any ideas?
--

Mac

Sean Timmons

Getting a dash wjen updating a formula

Go to Tools - AutoCorrect Options and ensure you don't have 9 to be replaced
with -. If you do, click on that row and delete.

"Mac" wrote:

Hi,

Excel 2003 - When I try to update a formula in a cell and hit enter, it
gives me a dash instead of the result of the formula.

Original = = 5 + 5 Cell = 10
Update = = 5 + 4 Cell = -

Any ideas?
--

Mac

Mac

Getting a dash when updating a formula

No luck. There isn't a 9 replace with -.
--

Mac

"Mac" wrote:

Hi,

Excel 2003 - When I try to update a formula in a cell and hit enter, it
gives me a dash instead of the result of the formula.

Original = = 5 + 5 Cell = 10
Update = = 5 + 4 Cell = -

Any ideas?
--

Mac

Sean Timmons

Getting a dash when updating a formula

And the values are 5+4, so expecting 9, correct? Not just a dummy calculation?

Cell is formatted as Number?

"Mac" wrote:

Hi,

Excel 2003 - When I try to update a formula in a cell and hit enter, it
gives me a dash instead of the result of the formula.

Original = = 5 + 5 Cell = 10
Update = = 5 + 4 Cell = -

Any ideas?
--

Mac

Dave Peterson

Getting a dash wjen updating a formula

What do you see in the formulabar?

How about changing that cell's numberformat to General?
Format|Cells|Number tab

Mac wrote:

Hi,

Excel 2003 - When I try to update a formula in a cell and hit enter, it
gives me a dash instead of the result of the formula.

Original = = 5 + 5 Cell = 10
Update = = 5 + 4 Cell = -

Any ideas?
--

Mac

--

Dave Peterson

Mac

Getting a dash wjen updating a formula

I see the actual formula in the formula bar. If I change any part of the
formula and hit enter, it populates the cell with a dash.

Changing format doesn't work...thanks.
--

Mac

Mac wrote:

Hi,

Excel 2003 - When I try to update a formula in a cell and hit enter, it
gives me a dash instead of the result of the formula.

Original = = 5 + 5 Cell = 10
Update = = 5 + 4 Cell = -

Any ideas?
--

Mac

--

Dave Peterson

Mac

Getting a dash when updating a formula

Sorry, that is a dummy calculation but I did check for any numbers, not just 9.

Yes, the format is number.
--

Mac

"Mac" wrote:

Hi,

Excel 2003 - When I try to update a formula in a cell and hit enter, it
gives me a dash instead of the result of the formula.

Original = = 5 + 5 Cell = 10
Update = = 5 + 4 Cell = -

Any ideas?
--

Mac

Sean Timmons

Getting a dash wjen updating a formula

The result isn't 0, I hope.

Copy/paste special values and see what number appears in the formula bar. If
it's a - then we know it's the formula. If it's somethign else, we're looking
at other issues. Undo once you get your answer.

Mac wrote:

Hi,

Excel 2003 - When I try to update a formula in a cell and hit enter, it
gives me a dash instead of the result of the formula.

Original = = 5 + 5 Cell = 10
Update = = 5 + 4 Cell = -

Any ideas?
--

Mac

--

Dave Peterson

Dave Peterson

Getting a dash wjen updating a formula

If you select the cell (when you see the dash), then look at the number
formatting, what do you see?