-   -   conditional formating less than % of previous day (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/204993-conditional-formating-less-than-%25-previous-day.html)

Big_Tater

conditional formating less than % of previous day

Can someone help me write a conditional formula based on a percentage. I want
to have my text turn red if today's numbers are less than 4% of yesterday's
numbers. (I can do the conditional part, but I need help with the formula.
Here is what I want in a formula.)

If B2 is 4% less than B1 make text Bold Red if its not less than 4% do
nothing.

Thanks.
David

Sean Timmons

conditional formating less than % of previous day

In B2, Condition Faormatting

Value is:

=B2*1.04<=B1
Format Bold/Red

Assuming you want at least 4% less.

If you want this to work up and down a column, make sure there is no $
before the 4. If you go across a row, make sure no 4 before the B.

"Big_Tater" wrote:

Can someone help me write a conditional formula based on a percentage. I want
to have my text turn red if today's numbers are less than 4% of yesterday's
numbers. (I can do the conditional part, but I need help with the formula.
Here is what I want in a formula.)

If B2 is 4% less than B1 make text Bold Red if its not less than 4% do
nothing.

Thanks.
David

David Biddulph[_2_]

conditional formating less than % of previous day

CF/ Formula Is =B2<B1*(1-4%) or =B2<0.96*B1

Note that in one place you said less than 4% of yesterday's number, and that
would be =B2<0.04*B1, but in another you say 4% less than B1, and that would
be 0.96*B1. You need to be clear what you want.
--
David Biddulph

"Big_Tater" wrote in message
Can someone help me write a conditional formula based on a percentage. I
want
to have my text turn red if today's numbers are less than 4% of
yesterday's
numbers. (I can do the conditional part, but I need help with the formula.
Here is what I want in a formula.)

If B2 is 4% less than B1 make text Bold Red if its not less than 4% do
nothing.

Thanks.
David

Big_Tater[_2_]

conditional formating less than % of previous day

Sorry about that.

Do you know if there is a way to copy this formula from B17:B382 so that is
knows to run the formula based on the previous cell?

examples:
in cell B18 I want to have this formula =B18<B17*(1-4%)
in cell B19 I want to have this formula =B19<B18*(1-4%)
in cell B20 I want to have this formula =B20<B19*(1-4%)
etc.

Thank you for your help on this.
David

"Big_Tater" wrote in message
Can someone help me write a conditional formula based on a percentage. I
want
to have my text turn red if today's numbers are less than 4% of
yesterday's
numbers. (I can do the conditional part, but I need help with the formula.
Here is what I want in a formula.)

If B2 is 4% less than B1 make text Bold Red if its not less than 4% do
nothing.

Thanks.
David

David Biddulph[_2_]

conditional formating less than % of previous day

If you copy that CF formula down (whether by selecting the range before you
type the CF formula in, or by copying and paste special/ formats, or by
using the format painter), that's how it will behave.
You could, of course, alternatively use Cell Value Is (instead of Formula
Is) / less than/ =B17*(1-4%)
and again it will change appropriately as you copy it down.
--
David Biddulph

"Big_Tater" wrote in message
Can someone help me write a conditional formula based on a percentage.
want
to have my text turn red if today's numbers are less than 4% of
yesterday's
numbers. (I can do the conditional part, but I need help with the
formula.
Here is what I want in a formula.)

If B2 is 4% less than B1 make text Bold Red if its not less than 4% do
nothing.

Thanks.
David

Big_Tater[_2_]

conditional formating less than % of previous day

Thanks again David!!