-   -   Get current cell with VBA function (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/20482-get-current-cell-vba-function.html)

vbphil

Get current cell with VBA function

I've written a VBA function that will be used on a worksheet as a worksheet
function. I want to modify the formatting of the cell that the function is
in. I haven't found any way that works. How do you reference the cell that
the formula is in and make changes to it?

Thanks, -phil
--
no place like 127.0.0.1

Don Guillett

maybe

activecell.

format(activecell,"yourformathere")

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"vbphil" wrote in message
I've written a VBA function that will be used on a worksheet as a

worksheet
function. I want to modify the formatting of the cell that the function is
in. I haven't found any way that works. How do you reference the cell that
the formula is in and make changes to it?

Thanks, -phil
--
no place like 127.0.0.1

vbphil

ActiveCell doesn't compute in a function called from a worksheet formula. It
only works from within a VBA macro call.

Don Guillett

Perhaps you should post your udf and telll us exactly what you want to do

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"vbphil" wrote in message
I've written a VBA function that will be used on a worksheet as a

worksheet
function. I want to modify the formatting of the cell that the function is
in. I haven't found any way that works. How do you reference the cell that
the formula is in and make changes to it?

Thanks, -phil
--
no place like 127.0.0.1

JE McGimpsey

Functions, including User Defined Functions, cannot change the
formatting of a cell.

To do that you'd need an event macro in the worksheet or workbook code
module, e.g., Worksheet_Change, or Worksheet_Calculate.

If you post what you're trying to do, it would be easier to suggest a
solution.

In article ,
vbphil wrote:

I've written a VBA function that will be used on a worksheet as a worksheet
function. I want to modify the formatting of the cell that the function is
in. I haven't found any way that works. How do you reference the cell that
the formula is in and make changes to it?

vbphil

You have answered the basis of my question. It can't be done this way.
Here's a greatly simplified example. I just wanted to know if you can
access the range object or cell of where the formula is entered besides just
settings it value.

'the worksheet cell formula would be "=setFormat()"

function setFormat() as string
'set the font of this cell to bold or set the color
'set the cell value
setFormat = "test"
end function

Thanks for the feedback, -phi