-   -   matching cell values (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/203986-matching-cell-values.html)

Geofridu

matching cell values

I have a spreadsheet with cities and time zones. I have another with zip
codes, cities, states, and area codes. I would like to match up the time
zones with the cities in the second spreadsheet. I think the dlookup
function will do this, but I am not sure how to go about doing it - even
using the cities columns as a basis to match up on.

Any one out there who can help?

Thank you for your help and advice.

Roger Govier[_3_]

matching cell values

Hi

On sheet2 with the Area codes etc, in cell E2 enter
=VLOOKUP(B2,Sheet1!A:B,2,0)
and copy down as far as required.

--
Regards
Roger Govier

"Geofridu" wrote in message
I have a spreadsheet with cities and time zones. I have another with zip
codes, cities, states, and area codes. I would like to match up the time
zones with the cities in the second spreadsheet. I think the dlookup
function will do this, but I am not sure how to go about doing it - even
using the cities columns as a basis to match up on.

Any one out there who can help?

Thank you for your help and advice.

Geofridu

matching cell values

Roger, thanks for the help.

Had issues with the cities having the same name but in different states and
the formula didn't copy down. I had to fix that with the "hard cell
reference" $A$1 versus A1 but was able to get done what I needed.

Thank you again for the help! It got me going in the right direction!