-   -   validation in a list (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/203823-validation-list.html)

BoatChief

validation in a list

I am trying to set up a growing list with one column of numerical data that
gets totaled at the bottom. Any new data must not let the total go below -2.
The validation gets inserted into the new cells as they are created, but I
cannot get the validation rule to change with the moving total cell as the
list expands. In place of the cell address in the validation, I get REF#!.
Any ideas on how to get this rule to change with the moving total cell?

Sean Timmons

validation in a list

How are the numbers added to the sheet? are you inserting rows? are you
moving the cell with total down each time?

have you tried setting up validation so it shows a formula =sum(A$1:A2)-2
so that as you go down the column, it automatically check the last value
against the entire column's sum?