-   -   Concatenate Text... with spaces (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/202157-concatenate-text-spaces.html)

Leslie W.

Concatenate Text... with spaces

I'm having a problem, and I don't know if there's a solution in the form of
an Excel function. I believe I could write a VB Macro to accomplish what I
need to do, but I can't use macros for this application.

I have a Dataset that looks like this:
John Smith
<blank cell
Jane Doe
John Doe
<blank cell
Jane Smith

I need it to concatenate as John Smith, Jane Doe, John Doe, Jane Smith

I have the MCONCAT function, which works, but it does not solve the blank
cell problem. I have also tried the formula suggested by Toothless Mama in
the past, but that doesn't help me with the space.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Mike H

Concatenate Text... with spaces

Leslie,

MCONCAT does solve the spaces problem

=MCONCAT(A1:A6," ")

Returns
John Smith Jane Doe John Doe Jane Smith

Mike

"Leslie W." wrote:

I'm having a problem, and I don't know if there's a solution in the form of
an Excel function. I believe I could write a VB Macro to accomplish what I
need to do, but I can't use macros for this application.

I have a Dataset that looks like this:
John Smith
<blank cell
Jane Doe
John Doe
<blank cell
Jane Smith

I need it to concatenate as John Smith, Jane Doe, John Doe, Jane Smith

I have the MCONCAT function, which works, but it does not solve the blank
cell problem. I have also tried the formula suggested by Toothless Mama in
the past, but that doesn't help me with the space.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Teethless mama

Concatenate Text... with spaces

Try this:

=SUBSTITUTE(MCONCAT(IF(A1:A6<"",A1:A6&", ","")),",","",COUNTA(A1:A6))

ctrl+shift+enter, not just enter