-   -   timed events (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/202003-timed-events.html)

H1

timed events

Hi
I have a series of timed events (races to one hundreth of a second) that
need to be tracked by event (worksheet) then all total times for teams
averaged. Right now, excel insists on translating the times into dates, so I
can't add times, let alone average them. I can't find the settings to allow
it to take time as a spam measurement rather than a date.
Help!

Squeaky

timed events

H1,

Right click on the cell and select Format Cells... Under the Number tab
select Custom, and choose a time format such as h:mm:ss. That should do the
trick.

Squeaky

"H1" wrote:

Hi
I have a series of timed events (races to one hundreth of a second) that
need to be tracked by event (worksheet) then all total times for teams
averaged. Right now, excel insists on translating the times into dates, so I
can't add times, let alone average them. I can't find the settings to allow
it to take time as a spam measurement rather than a date.
Help!

H1

timed events

thanks, but I tried that - the formula bar still shows it as a date value,
rather than a span of time.
When I sum the times, if the other values are set to zero, it still counts
it as 1, as in a full day.
Maybe thats why I'm having trouble with so simple an item, what is supposed
to work just doesn't! Now I'm wondering if perhpas there is a background
sheet format or something...