-   -   Converting Numbers to Months (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/201996-converting-numbers-months.html)

John

Converting Numbers to Months

Does anyone know the formula which will convert numbers into months for
example:

9-2008 and I need Sep-2008 have tried changing the column into a Custom type
using mmm-yy but it completely changes the month and year. The data has been
taken from our company operation system which is SAP.

Thanks

Stefi

Converting Numbers to Months

9-2008 being in B1
=DATE(RIGHT(B1,4),LEFT(B1,SEARCH("-",B1)-1),1)
and custom format the result cell like mmm-yyyy

Regards,
Stefi

€˛John€¯ ezt Ć*rta:

Does anyone know the formula which will convert numbers into months for
example:

9-2008 and I need Sep-2008 have tried changing the column into a Custom type
using mmm-yy but it completely changes the month and year. The data has been
taken from our company operation system which is SAP.

Thanks

Bob Phillips[_3_]

Converting Numbers to Months

In an adjacent column, use

=DATEVALUE(A1)

and format as mmm-yyyy

--
__________________________________
HTH

Bob

"John" wrote in message
Does anyone know the formula which will convert numbers into months for
example:

9-2008 and I need Sep-2008 have tried changing the column into a Custom
type
using mmm-yy but it completely changes the month and year. The data has
been
taken from our company operation system which is SAP.

Thanks

Ron Coderre

Converting Numbers to Months

Wtih
A1 containing "date-like" text....eg: 9-2008

This formula converts that value to a date:
B1: =--A1
(format B1 as a date)

or...this formula converts the A1 value into formatted text:
B1: =TEXT(A1,"mmm-yyyy")

In the above example, the first formula returns the date 09/01/2008,
(which can be formatted any way you'd like)
and the second formula returns this text: Sep-2008

Is that something you can work with?
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2003, WinXP

"John" wrote:

Does anyone know the formula which will convert numbers into months for
example:

9-2008 and I need Sep-2008 have tried changing the column into a Custom type
using mmm-yy but it completely changes the month and year. The data has been
taken from our company operation system which is SAP.

Thanks

Gord Dibben

Converting Numbers to Months

DataText to ColumnsNextNextColumn Data FormatDateMYD

Works for me with 9-2008 returning Sep-2008 formatted as custom mmm-yyyy

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP