-   -   Auto Numbering Test Scores and want ties to count the same (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/201793-auto-numbering-test-scores-want-ties-count-same.html)

scott

Auto Numbering Test Scores and want ties to count the same

I have a series of 300 test scores from students and want them automatically
numbered from 1-300 based on best to worst. The problem is I want identical
scores to number the same.
i.e. say after number 10 the next three have identical scores I want all
of those to number 11 and then the following score to be numbered 14.

Teethless mama

Auto Numbering Test Scores and want ties to count the same

=RANK(A1,$A$1:$A$300)

"Scott" wrote:

I have a series of 300 test scores from students and want them automatically
numbered from 1-300 based on best to worst. The problem is I want identical
scores to number the same.
i.e. say after number 10 the next three have identical scores I want all
of those to number 11 and then the following score to be numbered 14.

Sheeloo

Auto Numbering Test Scores and want ties to count the same

Sort the scores in descending order (assuming they are in Col E)
Enter 1 agains the highest score (assuming you want the rank in Col F)
Enter =IF(E2=E1,F1,F1+1) in the cell below that and copy till end

"Scott" wrote:

I have a series of 300 test scores from students and want them automatically
numbered from 1-300 based on best to worst. The problem is I want identical
scores to number the same.
i.e. say after number 10 the next three have identical scores I want all
of those to number 11 and then the following score to be numbered 14.

T. Valko

Auto Numbering Test Scores and want ties to count the same

Use the RANK function.

55
55
49