-   -   Conditional averaging gives wrong result (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/201306-conditional-averaging-gives-wrong-result.html)

BRob

Conditional averaging gives wrong result

I've got a problem in a spreadsheet which, if I simplify down to its most
basic is as follows.

In the table below, the average value of column B where the corresponding
value in column A is "A" should be 100. Yet the answer I get with the
following array formula is 33.3333

={AVERAGE((A1:A3="A")*(G32:G34))}

A 100
B 200
C 300

It appears that excel is recognising the correct value for the condition
equal to A (100) but then assigning zeros to the other before calculating.

Have I got the wrong syntax in that formula. Any suggestions to calculate
the correct answer.

Tx

Rob

Teethless mama

Conditional averaging gives wrong result

Try:
=AVERAGE(IF(.........))

ctrl+shift+enter, not just enter

"BRob" wrote:

I've got a problem in a spreadsheet which, if I simplify down to its most
basic is as follows.

In the table below, the average value of column B where the corresponding
value in column A is "A" should be 100. Yet the answer I get with the
following array formula is 33.3333

={AVERAGE((A1:A3="A")*(G32:G34))}

A 100
B 200
C 300

It appears that excel is recognising the correct value for the condition
equal to A (100) but then assigning zeros to the other before calculating.

Have I got the wrong syntax in that formula. Any suggestions to calculate
the correct answer.

Tx

Rob

Duke Carey

Conditional averaging gives wrong result

As an array formula, committed by pressing Ctrl-Shift-Enter

=average(if(A1:a3="A",G32:G34))

"BRob" wrote:

I've got a problem in a spreadsheet which, if I simplify down to its most
basic is as follows.

In the table below, the average value of column B where the corresponding
value in column A is "A" should be 100. Yet the answer I get with the
following array formula is 33.3333

={AVERAGE((A1:A3="A")*(G32:G34))}

A 100
B 200
C 300

It appears that excel is recognising the correct value for the condition
equal to A (100) but then assigning zeros to the other before calculating.

Have I got the wrong syntax in that formula. Any suggestions to calculate
the correct answer.

Tx

Rob

Glenn

BRob wrote:
I've got a problem in a spreadsheet which, if I simplify down to its most
basic is as follows.

In the table below, the average value of column B where the corresponding
value in column A is "A" should be 100. Yet the answer I get with the
following array formula is 33.3333

={AVERAGE((A1:A3="A")*(G32:G34))}

A 100
B 200
C 300

It appears that excel is recognising the correct value for the condition
equal to A (100) but then assigning zeros to the other before calculating.

Have I got the wrong syntax in that formula. Any suggestions to calculate
the correct answer.

Tx

Rob

{=AVERAGE(IF(A1:A3="A",G32:G34,""))}