-   -   countif or sumproduct? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/201146-countif-sumproduct.html)

arch0072

countif or sumproduct?

i have a column with over 2000 alpha character rows that i'm trying to count.

I have a the one of the following letters hmyubsqzvtgxce in the rows of the
column.

I'm trying to count the total number of hmyu when listed in this column?

Don Guillett

countif or sumproduct?

try this
=SUMPRODUCT((C2:C2000={"h","m","y","u"})*1)

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

"arch0072" wrote in message
i have a column with over 2000 alpha character rows that i'm trying to
count.

I have a the one of the following letters hmyubsqzvtgxce in the rows of
the
column.

I'm trying to count the total number of hmyu when listed in this column?

Mike H

countif or sumproduct?

Maybe

=COUNTIF(A:A,"*hmyu*")

or for the string beginning with hmyu

=COUNTIF(A:A,"hmyu*")

Mike

"arch0072" wrote:

i have a column with over 2000 alpha character rows that i'm trying to count.

I have a the one of the following letters hmyubsqzvtgxce in the rows of the
column.

I'm trying to count the total number of hmyu when listed in this column?

Pete_UK

countif or sumproduct?

Try this:

=COUNTIF(D:D,"*hmyu*")

I've assumed your data is in column D. You can use wildcards with
COUNTIF.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Sep 3, 1:44*pm, arch0072
wrote:
i have a column with over 2000 alpha character rows that i'm trying to count. *

I have a the one of the following letters hmyubsqzvtgxce in the rows of the
column. *

I'm trying to count the total number of hmyu when listed in this column?

Don Guillett

countif or sumproduct?

Tested?
--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

"arch0072" wrote:

i have a column with over 2000 alpha character rows that i'm trying to
count.

I have a the one of the following letters hmyubsqzvtgxce in the rows of
the
column.

I'm trying to count the total number of hmyu when listed in this column?

Mike H

countif or sumproduct?

Yes, tested OK. I may have misunderstood the OP requirements but it does what
it was intended to do. i.e count the instances of hmyu either within or at
the start of any string in any cell in A:A

your issue being?

Mike

"Don Guillett" wrote:

Tested?
--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

"arch0072" wrote:

i have a column with over 2000 alpha character rows that i'm trying to
count.

I have a the one of the following letters hmyubsqzvtgxce in the rows of
the
column.

I'm trying to count the total number of hmyu when listed in this column?

Don Guillett

countif or sumproduct?

Depends on how you read this

"Mike H" wrote in message
Yes, tested OK. I may have misunderstood the OP requirements but it does
what
it was intended to do. i.e count the instances of hmyu either within or at
the start of any string in any cell in A:A

your issue being?

Mike

"Don Guillett" wrote:

Tested?
--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

"arch0072" wrote:

i have a column with over 2000 alpha character rows that i'm trying to
count.

I have a the one of the following letters hmyubsqzvtgxce in the rows
of
the
column.

I'm trying to count the total number of hmyu when listed in this
column?

Mike H

countif or sumproduct?

If the OP is polite enough to respond then we will have our clarification

Depends on how you read this

"Mike H" wrote in message
Yes, tested OK. I may have misunderstood the OP requirements but it does
what
it was intended to do. i.e count the instances of hmyu either within or at
the start of any string in any cell in A:A

your issue being?

Mike

"Don Guillett" wrote:

Tested?