-   -   How do I omit a blank cell from a calculation?? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/200944-how-do-i-omit-blank-cell-calculation.html)

marklg

How do I omit a blank cell from a calculation??

How do I discriminate between a blank cell and a zero value cell in a formula?

T. Valko

How do I omit a blank cell from a calculation??

It depends on what you want to accomplish with the formula.

One way to test for numeric 0:

AND(COUNT(A1),A1=0)

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"marklg" wrote in message
How do I discriminate between a blank cell and a zero value cell in a
formula?

JMB

How do I omit a blank cell from a calculation??

Some clarification as to what you want to do and what your existing formula
is would probably help. Also, when you say "blank" cell, do you mean a cell
that is truly empty or one that appears to be empty, but contains an empty
string (ie "")

A few suggestions you could play with:
=A1=""
=Len(A1)0
=Isnumber(A1)
=Isblank(A1) - this function will distinguish between a truly *empty* cell
and one that contains the empty string

"marklg" wrote:

How do I discriminate between a blank cell and a zero value cell in a formula?

RagDyeR

How do I omit a blank cell from a calculation??

What's your definition of "Blank"?

Is it an unused *empty* cell,
OR
a cell that appears empty but contains a zero length text string ( "" )?

Then, what is the formula you're trying to use?

RD

"marklg" wrote in message
How do I discriminate between a blank cell and a zero value cell in a

formula?

The cell is unused. I'm trying to solve an equation of the form ax-b where not all cells in the range of x have values and can be =0. Seems simple enough, but not to me I guess.

Thanks for answering.

marklg

Dave

How do I omit a blank cell from a calculation??

Hi,
If your maybe blank cell is (for example) A10, then try an IF around your
formula, something like:
=IF(A10="","x is blank",YourFormula)
Regards - Dave.