-   -   RANDBETWEEN (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/200336-randbetween.html)

Gaurav[_3_]

RANDBETWEEN

Hi All,

If I use RANDBETWEEN function to generate random samples, how do I make sure
that units are not repeate?

For example-

I have 1000 units and I have to generate 30 samples. I will use
RANDBETWEEN(1,30) in 30 cells. How do I make sure that the numbers are not
repeated and all the samples are unique?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Gaurav[_3_]

RANDBETWEEN

Sorry. I will use =RANDBETWEEN(1,1000) in 30 cells

"Gaurav" wrote in message
Hi All,

If I use RANDBETWEEN function to generate random samples, how do I make
sure that units are not repeate?

For example-

I have 1000 units and I have to generate 30 samples. I will use
RANDBETWEEN(1,30) in 30 cells. How do I make sure that the numbers are not
repeated and all the samples are unique?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Gord Dibben

RANDBETWEEN

See John McGimpsey's site for instructions on resolving this problem

http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/udfs/randint.html

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 16:16:20 -0600, "Gaurav"
wrote:

Hi All,

If I use RANDBETWEEN function to generate random samples, how do I make sure
that units are not repeate?

For example-

I have 1000 units and I have to generate 30 samples. I will use
RANDBETWEEN(1,30) in 30 cells. How do I make sure that the numbers are not
repeated and all the samples are unique?

Thanks in advance for any help.

RagDyeR

RANDBETWEEN

One way to generate random numbers without replacement:

Enter the Rand function in an out-of-the-way location of your sheet,

=Rand()

And copy down,
say Z1 to Z1000.

Then enter this formula anywhe

=INDEX(ROW($A$1:$A$1000),RANK(Z1,$Z$1:$Z$1000))

And copy down as many rows as the amount of numbers you need.

Each time you hit <F9, you'll get a new random list.
--
HTH,

RD