-   -   Sum Function not working right (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/199756-sum-function-not-working-right.html)

jenn

Sum Function not working right

I have a column of 722 numbers and I want to add them but when I click the
sum function and select all the cells it returns with a 0. I have made sure
they are numbers, have tried to copy and paste to a different worksheet but
it is all coming out the same. I've even tried to do it with just a couple
numbers in the column and it still says 0.

But, if I type in numbers the sum function works perfectly.

Ron Coderre

Sum Function not working right

See if this works:

Select the single-column range of "numbers" (eg A2:A100)

From the Excel main menu:
<data<text-to-columns....click [Finish]

Does the sum function return the correct value now?
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2003, WinXP

"Jenn" wrote:

I have a column of 722 numbers and I want to add them but when I click the
sum function and select all the cells it returns with a 0. I have made sure
they are numbers, have tried to copy and paste to a different worksheet but
it is all coming out the same. I've even tried to do it with just a couple
numbers in the column and it still says 0.

But, if I type in numbers the sum function works perfectly.

David Biddulph[_2_]

Sum Function not working right

In which case I would question your statement "I have made sure they are
numbers, ..."

What do =ISNUMBER(A2) and =ISTEXT(A2) come to, assuming that A2 is one of
the cells in your column?
My guess is that you've got a text string, possibly with spaces.

If so, with zero in a spare cell, copy that cell, then select your column of
"numbers", and Edit/ paste special/ add. With a bit of luck that will turn
your text into numbers.
--
David Biddulph