-   -   How to convert a series of numbers (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/19931-how-convert-series-numbers.html)

Robert Judge

How to convert a series of numbers

I have received an EXCEL 2003 worksheet with a column that contains many zip
codes, improperly formatted. The cells contain, for instance:
10751746, but I want 01075
10271234, but I want 01027
10359999, but I want 01035

How can I convert the numbers above to give me the numbers I want as
indicated above? I will appreciate advice.

GerryK

Convert the data to text
then in in B1 put ="0"&A1
and in C1 put =LEFT(B1,5)

I have received an EXCEL 2003 worksheet with a column

that contains many zip
codes, improperly formatted. The cells contain, for

instance:
10751746, but I want 01075
10271234, but I want 01027
10359999, but I want 01035

How can I convert the numbers above to give me the

numbers I want as
indicated above? I will appreciate advice.
.

N Harkawat

=0&LEFT(A1,4)

"Robert Judge" wrote in message
I have received an EXCEL 2003 worksheet with a column that contains many
zip
codes, improperly formatted. The cells contain, for instance:
10751746, but I want 01075
10271234, but I want 01027
10359999, but I want 01035

How can I convert the numbers above to give me the numbers I want as
indicated above? I will appreciate advice.

CarlosAntenna

=IF(LEN(A1)=8,0&LEFT(A1,4),LEFT(A1,5))

-- Carlos

"Robert Judge" wrote in message
I have received an EXCEL 2003 worksheet with a column that contains many

zip
codes, improperly formatted. The cells contain, for instance:
10751746, but I want 01075
10271234, but I want 01027
10359999, but I want 01035

How can I convert the numbers above to give me the numbers I want as
indicated above? I will appreciate advice.

CarlosAntenna

If not all are 9 digit zips you could use this:

=IF((LEN(A1)=8)+(LEN(A1)=4)0,0&LEFT(A1,4),LEFT(A1 ,5))

-- Carlos

"CarlosAntenna" wrote in message
=IF(LEN(A1)=8,0&LEFT(A1,4),LEFT(A1,5))

-- Carlos