-   -   How can I create drop-down lists with references in other workboo. (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/19834-how-can-i-create-drop-down-lists-references-other-workboo.html)

Cezar DUMITRIU

How can I create drop-down lists with references in other workboo.

I have tried to create a drop-down list in Excel, with references in another
workbook than the one where I wanted to input the data from the list, using
the Data Validation function. Reading the Excel help, I've learned that in
order to do that I have o define a Name (Insert--Name--Define) for the list
in my reference workbook and when validating the data in my destination
workbook, in the Data Validation dialog window, on the Settings tab, in the
Source Box, I have to insert (preceded by an = sign) the Name defined
previously. Unfortunately, although I followed all the steps as described in
the Help item, I keep on getting the following Error Message: "You may not
use references to other worksheets or wokbooks for Data Validation criteria."
and I cannot validate the data.

Can anybody help me with this? Please write to

Debra Dalgleish

You also have to create a named reference to that external range in the
workbook that contains the data validation list. Then, use the new name
as the data validation source. There are instructions he

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List