Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Need help creating a function

I have a spreadsheet that compiles a specific incentive given to customers.
I need to be able to total the number of people who received the incentive
based on the date they moved in. I want to create this on a "totals" sheet
within my workbook. I can figure out how to total all the incentives given
but not how to total by specific date.

Thanks to anyone that can help me.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

chrspty wrote:
I have a spreadsheet that compiles a specific incentive given to customers.
I need to be able to total the number of people who received the incentive
based on the date they moved in. I want to create this on a "totals" sheet
within my workbook. I can figure out how to total all the incentives given
but not how to total by specific date.

Thanks to anyone that can help me.

Are you familiar with pivot tables? They offer a straightforward solution.

I'm abbreviating a bit here but hopefully you can fill in the blanks.
Select your table of customers and dates, Data | Pivot Table. Place your
date in the "row" area and customers in the "data" area. This should
by default give you customer counts by date.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You could also use a sumif() or a countif() function, although for a general
reporting purpose, PivotTables are better (although a little more advanced
and sometimes more frustrating to use).

If you have each date listed on your "Totals" sheet in Column B; Sheet2,
Column B holds the customers date, and Column C contains the price of the
incentive.

For your daily incentives total:
=SUMIF(Sheet2!B:B,Totals!B2,Sheet2!C:C)

If you just want to know how many you handed out on that day, use the formula:
=COUNTIF(Sheet2!B:B,Sheet1!B2)

Hope this helps, Jim