-   -   Sum Time. (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/197007-sum-time.html)

GEM

Sum Time.

If I enter in A1 "1:10" and on A2 "1:20" and try to sum those two together,
it won't give me an answer. How can I format the cells so that A3 can give me
the answer 2:30.

robzrob

Sum Time.

On Jul 30, 11:11*pm, GEM wrote:
If I enter in A1 "1:10" and on A2 "1:20" and try to sum those two together,
it won't give me an answer. How can I format the cells so that A3 can give me
the answer 2:30.

Format: Custom [h]:mm

GEM

Sum Time.

I tried that...

"robzrob" wrote:

On Jul 30, 11:11 pm, GEM wrote:
If I enter in A1 "1:10" and on A2 "1:20" and try to sum those two together,
it won't give me an answer. How can I format the cells so that A3 can give me
the answer 2:30.

Format: Custom [h]:mm

JBoyer

Sum Time.

You should just be able to simple add them together A1+A2. Make sure they
have a hh:mm or mm:ss format or something like that whatever you are using.

"GEM" wrote:

If I enter in A1 "1:10" and on A2 "1:20" and try to sum those two together,
it won't give me an answer. How can I format the cells so that A3 can give me
the answer 2:30.

Peo Sjoblom[_2_]

Sum Time.

What do you get then?

Peo Sjoblom

"GEM" wrote in message
I tried that...

"robzrob" wrote:

On Jul 30, 11:11 pm, GEM wrote:
If I enter in A1 "1:10" and on A2 "1:20" and try to sum those two
together,
it won't give me an answer. How can I format the cells so that A3 can
give me
the answer 2:30.

Format: Custom [h]:mm

GEM

Sum Time.

I just get 0:00

"GEM" wrote:

If I enter in A1 "1:10" and on A2 "1:20" and try to sum those two together,
it won't give me an answer. How can I format the cells so that A3 can give me
the answer 2:30.

Peo Sjoblom[_2_]

Sum Time.

What do you get if you format the cell as general as opposed to time?

Peo Sjoblom

"GEM" wrote in message
I just get 0:00

"GEM" wrote:

If I enter in A1 "1:10" and on A2 "1:20" and try to sum those two
together,
it won't give me an answer. How can I format the cells so that A3 can
give me
the answer 2:30.

GEM

Sum Time.

Still 0:00

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

What do you get if you format the cell as general as opposed to time?

Peo Sjoblom

"GEM" wrote in message
I just get 0:00

"GEM" wrote:

If I enter in A1 "1:10" and on A2 "1:20" and try to sum those two
together,
it won't give me an answer. How can I format the cells so that A3 can
give me
the answer 2:30.

Peo Sjoblom[_2_]

Sum Time.

Is your calculations set to manual under toolsoptionscalculation? If so
set it to automatic

Peo Sjoblom

"GEM" wrote in message
Still 0:00

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

What do you get if you format the cell as general as opposed to time?

Peo Sjoblom

"GEM" wrote in message
I just get 0:00

"GEM" wrote:

If I enter in A1 "1:10" and on A2 "1:20" and try to sum those two
together,
it won't give me an answer. How can I format the cells so that A3
can
give me
the answer 2:30.

David Biddulph[_2_]

Sum Time.

I'm surprised that you get a display of 0:00 in a cell formatted as general.
I would have expected it to change to 0.

What do you get when you temporarily format your original 1:10 to General or
Number? It should show something like 0.048611.
--
David Biddulph

"GEM" wrote in message
Still 0:00

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

What do you get if you format the cell as general as opposed to time?

Peo Sjoblom

"GEM" wrote in message
I just get 0:00

"GEM" wrote:

If I enter in A1 "1:10" and on A2 "1:20" and try to sum those two
together,
it won't give me an answer. How can I format the cells so that A3
can
give me
the answer 2:30.

GEM

Sum Time.

After a couple of times of errors, I just copied the whole column to notepad
and then back to excel, and it worked!! Something was wrong with the format.

Thank you all for your help!!!

"David Biddulph" wrote:

I'm surprised that you get a display of 0:00 in a cell formatted as general.
I would have expected it to change to 0.

What do you get when you temporarily format your original 1:10 to General or
Number? It should show something like 0.048611.
--
David Biddulph

"GEM" wrote in message
Still 0:00

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

What do you get if you format the cell as general as opposed to time?

Peo Sjoblom

"GEM" wrote in message
I just get 0:00