-   -   if function errors (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/19653-if-function-errors.html)

RON

if function errors

Hi!
The following if command, when tested on 100 cases of a dataset, gives
"true" value for some and "false" for rest; when all are true. I checked if
function in each cell but for some reason certain cells seem to give the
wrong(opposite) response.
replacing numbers for responses instead of true /false did not change the
end result. Any one had this problem? and how tosolve this problem. (I use
excel from office 2000SR premium)

function (all values in d are less than 5.00
=if(D2<10,"true","false")

JulieD

Hi Ron

i would check that all of the numbers are in fact numbers, use the following
test
=IF(ISNUMBER(A1),"","check") and fill down the column
look at any that say "check"

Cheers
JulieD

"RON" wrote in message
Hi!
The following if command, when tested on 100 cases of a dataset, gives
"true" value for some and "false" for rest; when all are true. I checked
if
function in each cell but for some reason certain cells seem to give the
wrong(opposite) response.
replacing numbers for responses instead of true /false did not change the
end result. Any one had this problem? and how tosolve this problem. (I use
excel from office 2000SR premium)

function (all values in d are less than 5.00
=if(D2<10,"true","false")

Ron Rosenfeld

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 08:35:02 -0800, RON wrote:

Hi!
The following if command, when tested on 100 cases of a dataset, gives
"true" value for some and "false" for rest; when all are true. I checked if
function in each cell but for some reason certain cells seem to give the
wrong(opposite) response.
replacing numbers for responses instead of true /false did not change the
end result. Any one had this problem? and how tosolve this problem. (I use
excel from office 2000SR premium)

function (all values in d are less than 5.00
=if(D2<10,"true","false")

Most likely, some of the values in the dataset, that look like numbers, are
really text.

--ron