-   -   =COUNTIF & how to make it apply to consecutive cells (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/196199-%3Dcountif-how-make-apply-consecutive-cells.html)

gretchen

=COUNTIF & how to make it apply to consecutive cells

I'm a fairly new excel user and need some advice on how to count the number
of cells with a specific value in a column. I know that you can use the
=COUNTIF(range, "criteria") ifunction in this manner, but I have so many
values that I want to automate this. Is there anyway that I can keep the
range constant (i.e. always E2:E597 instead of shifting from E3:E598 as I
proceed down the column), but change the criteria (i.e.
=COUNTIF(E2:E597,"D2")) where D2 is the value of cell D2, not the actual
value "D2"?
--
thanks for the advice!

Teethless mama

=COUNTIF & how to make it apply to consecutive cells

=COUNTIF($E$2:$E$597,D2)

"gretchen" wrote:

I'm a fairly new excel user and need some advice on how to count the number
of cells with a specific value in a column. I know that you can use the
=COUNTIF(range, "criteria") ifunction in this manner, but I have so many
values that I want to automate this. Is there anyway that I can keep the
range constant (i.e. always E2:E597 instead of shifting from E3:E598 as I
proceed down the column), but change the criteria (i.e.
=COUNTIF(E2:E597,"D2")) where D2 is the value of cell D2, not the actual
value "D2"?
--
thanks for the advice!

M Kan

=COUNTIF & how to make it apply to consecutive cells

Whenever you specific a range or a cell, you can simply hit F4 to scroll
through the absolute and relative reference options. The first press of F4
will make the reference absolute (e.g., with both $ signs)
--
Tips for Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Other Applications
http://www.kan.org/tips

"Teethless mama" wrote:

=COUNTIF($E$2:$E$597,D2)