-   -   How do you alphabetize street addresses within a column? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/194691-how-do-you-alphabetize-street-addresses-within-column.html)

Rosemarie

How do you alphabetize street addresses within a column?

How do you alphabetize street addresses within a column? When I sort
according to address, it sorts according to the number (not the street name).
It is more important to group the street names than the street numbers.
HELP!

Mike H

How do you alphabetize street addresses within a column?

Rosemary,

Can we see an example of the data layout.

Mike

"Rosemarie" wrote:

How do you alphabetize street addresses within a column? When I sort
according to address, it sorts according to the number (not the street name).
It is more important to group the street names than the street numbers.
HELP!

Dave Curtis

How do you alphabetize street addresses within a column?

Hi,

An easy way is to create two new helper columns, one containing the number,
the other containing the street name.
Assuming the numbers and names are in column A,then put

=--LEFT(A1,FIND(" ",A1,1)) in B1 and drag down.

Put

=RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-FIND(" ",A1,1)) in C1 and drag down

Then sort on column C, making sure you expand the range to include column A
and B in the range.

Dave

url:http://www.ureader.com/msg/104236262.aspx

DAP

How do you alphabetize street addresses within a column?

I have the same issue, except the addresses and the street names are
referenced from another sheet using the offset command. How do I separate the
numbers from the street names?

"Dave Curtis" wrote:

Hi,

An easy way is to create two new helper columns, one containing the number,
the other containing the street name.
Assuming the numbers and names are in column A,then put

=--LEFT(A1,FIND(" ",A1,1)) in B1 and drag down.

Put

=RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-FIND(" ",A1,1)) in C1 and drag down

Then sort on column C, making sure you expand the range to include column A
and B in the range.

Dave

url:http://www.ureader.com/msg/104236262.aspx

David Biddulph[_2_]

How do you alphabetize street addresses within a column?

In the formulae below, replace A1 by your existing OFFSET formula.
--
David Biddulph