-   -   Conditional formatting - source data from another sheet (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/194389-conditional-formatting-source-data-another-sheet.html)

AT

Conditional formatting - source data from another sheet

Hi, I currently have a lot of data on sheet 2, linking the content to sheet 1
for easy reference. I wish to to use conditional formatting on sheet 1 with
the original data remaining in sheet 2. Unfortunately, when i try to link the
cell through the application of conditional formatting, once I click ok, it
states that you cannot do this because the linked cell is on another sheet.

The easiest solution is probably to duplicate the appropriate cells on sheet
2 to sheet 1 with links, but I dont particularly want to duplicate data to
avoid confusion.

So, to put it simply, is there an easy solution to this simple problem?

Thanks in advance

Gord Dibben

Conditional formatting - source data from another sheet

You can set the CF on Sheet1 based on what is in a cell on Sheet1.

Why do you need to reference Sheet2 in your CF condition?

Assume A1 in Sheet1 has a linking formula to A1 in Sheet2

=Sheet2!A1

CF on the value returned by that formula.

If not the case, please show us the CF condition formula.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 08:05:01 -0700, AT wrote:

Hi, I currently have a lot of data on sheet 2, linking the content to sheet 1
for easy reference. I wish to to use conditional formatting on sheet 1 with
the original data remaining in sheet 2. Unfortunately, when i try to link the
cell through the application of conditional formatting, once I click ok, it
states that you cannot do this because the linked cell is on another sheet.

The easiest solution is probably to duplicate the appropriate cells on sheet
2 to sheet 1 with links, but I dont particularly want to duplicate data to
avoid confusion.

So, to put it simply, is there an easy solution to this simple problem?

Thanks in advance

Peo Sjoblom[_2_]

Conditional formatting - source data from another sheet

If you name the cell in the other sheet, select that particular cell, do
insertnamedefine and type a name or select that cell and click in the name
box above Column A's header and type a name there, no spaces allowed and
certain letter number combinations are not allowed. Anyway assume you name
the cell MyName then you can use conditional formatting and formula is

=MyName0

set a format and if the cell is greater than zero it will trigger the
formatting

Peo Sjoblom

"AT" wrote in message
Hi, I currently have a lot of data on sheet 2, linking the content to
sheet 1
for easy reference. I wish to to use conditional formatting on sheet 1
with
the original data remaining in sheet 2. Unfortunately, when i try to link
the
cell through the application of conditional formatting, once I click ok,
it
states that you cannot do this because the linked cell is on another
sheet.

The easiest solution is probably to duplicate the appropriate cells on
sheet
2 to sheet 1 with links, but I dont particularly want to duplicate data to
avoid confusion.

So, to put it simply, is there an easy solution to this simple problem?

Thanks in advance

Chriswilsonuk

Conditional formatting - source data from another sheet

I have tried you example and it worked using a named cell.

Is there a way to get this to work on a range of cells or do I have to name
each individual cell. This could get very compolicated very fast with the
sheet I am using.

Thanks

Chris

Ashish Mathur[_2_]

Conditional formatting - source data from another sheet

Hi,

Yes, you can name a range and then use conditional formatting across
worksheets. Could be very specific about the example.

Ashsih Mathur
Microsoft Excel MVP
www.ashishmathur.com