-   -   HELP!!! Text count? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/193966-help-text-count.html)

Briana

HELP!!! Text count?

Here is my dilemma...

I have a list of phone numbers in excel. Next to each phone number, in the
next column, I enter a code for what happened with that call. For example, no
answer = na. I want excel to count each na and all of my other codes for me
(in a given selection) and tallie those in an organized fashion. Is this even
possible...if so, how?!

Pete_UK

HELP!!! Text count?

List your codes once on another sheet, so they might look like this:

ni
na
out
cb
am

Suppose these are in column A of Sheet2, and your main data is in Sheet1.
Assume the corresponding codes are in column C of Sheet1. Put this formula
in B1of Sheet2:

=COUNTIF(Sheet1C:C,A1)

and copy this down, to give you a count against each of those codes.

Hope this helps.

Pete