-   -   Associate values in worksheet?? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/193731-associate-values-worksheet.html)

Jon M

Associate values in worksheet??

Working with data listing stats associated with individuals that belong to
groups, i.e., individuals A, B, C belong to group X. I have data on the
individuals but they are not placed in groups.

Other than manually adding a column or field to each identity, is there a
better way to use Excel to do this, i.e., if I build a table of group
associations, can I do something like a "Find and Replace," for example,
"Find and put this groupname in the adjacent cell?"

Is there a better way to accomplish this?

Thanks!!!

Pete_UK

Associate values in worksheet??

If you build up a table of associations somewhere (eg from X1 onwards)
like this:

Name Group
A X
B X
C X
D Y
E Y

and so on, then you can use the VLOOKUP function like this:

=VLOOKUP($A1,X:Y,2,0)

assuming A1 is the cell where the name is. You can copy this down to
pick up the Groups for all Names.

Hope this helps.

Pete