-   -   How do I calculate Amount of Sales Tax from Total Amount? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/19365-how-do-i-calculate-amount-sales-tax-total-amount.html)

MikeS

How do I calculate Amount of Sales Tax from Total Amount?

I need to create an Excel Formula that calculates how much tax was paid
within a total amount. example: Total Amount = $546.20. Tax base = 8.8%.
How much of the $546.20 is tax?

Bob Phillips

Mike,

In principle, you multiply by the tax rate, and divide by 1 (Or 100%) plus
the tax rate. So here bit would be

=A1*.088/(1+.088)
or
=A1*8.8%/(100%+8.8%)

You might want to round it to 2 dec places as it is currency

=ROUND(A1*8.8%/(100%+8.8%),2)

--

HTH

RP