-   -   Create user id fm LName, FName (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/193343-create-user-id-fm-lname-fname.html)

SJS

Create user id fm LName, FName

I have a single column for people's full name (Last Name, First Name ex
Samson, Steve). I'd like to extract the person's first initial and last name
to create a user id (ssamson).

Any help for the function would be appreciated!

tks,
steve

willwonka[_2_]

Create user id fm LName, FName

=LOWER(MID(A1,FIND(",",A1,1)+2,1)&LEFT(A1,FIND("," ,A1,1)-1))

On Jul 1, 1:34*pm, sjs wrote:
I have a single column for people's full name (Last Name, First Name ex
Samson, Steve). *I'd like to extract the person's first initial and last name
to create a user id (ssamson).

Any help for the function would be appreciated!

tks,
steve

Teethless mama

Create user id fm LName, FName

=LOWER(MID(A1,FIND(" ",A1)+1,1)&LEFT(A1,FIND(",",A1)-1))

"sjs" wrote:

I have a single column for people's full name (Last Name, First Name ex
Samson, Steve). I'd like to extract the person's first initial and last name
to create a user id (ssamson).

Any help for the function would be appreciated!

tks,
steve

Rick Rothstein \(MVP - VB\)[_802_]

Create user id fm LName, FName

This will do what you asked...

=LOWER(LEFT(MID(A1,FIND(",",A1)+2,1)&A1,FIND(",",A 1)))

But, I have a friend whose last name contains a space (Della Rossa)... if he
was in your list, I'm guessing you would not want the space to appear in
your user ID, so consider using this more universal modification to the
above formula...

=SUBSTITUTE(LOWER(LEFT(MID(A1,FIND(",",A1)+2,1)&

Rick