-   -   Sum / Sumif (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/191270-sum-sumif.html)

Dave

Sum / Sumif

Hi,
The following formula works:
=SUM(H1,F1,D1,D3,E3,G3)
How do I do the same with Sumif? (with whatever criteria)
Regards - Dave.

Don Guillett

Sum / Sumif

example

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

"Dave" wrote in message
The following formula works:
=SUM(H1,F1,D1,D3,E3,G3)
How do I do the same with Sumif? (with whatever criteria)
Regards - Dave.

Dave

Sum / Sumif

Example:
=SUMIF(H1,F1,D1,D3,E3,G3,"50")
Excel doesn't let me enter this.
Dave.

"Don Guillett" wrote:

example

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

Teethless mama

Sum / Sumif

Try like this:

=SUM(SUMIF(INDIRECT({"D1","F1","H1","D3","E3","G3" }),"50"))

"Dave" wrote:

Example:
=SUMIF(H1,F1,D1,D3,E3,G3,"50")
Excel doesn't let me enter this.
Dave.

"Don Guillett" wrote:

example

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

Dave

Sum / Sumif

Hi TM,
Thanks. Works a treat. But ouch! What what was MS thinking - making the
simple things difficult?
Regards - Dave.

Fred Smith[_4_]

Sum / Sumif

MS was thinking that most people would sum consecutive cells. They were
correct.

Regards,
Fred

"Dave" wrote in message
Hi TM,
Thanks. Works a treat. But ouch! What what was MS thinking - making the
simple things difficult?
Regards - Dave.

Dave

Sum / Sumif

Ouch again. That hurts.
Seriously though, I was really wondering why SUM handled non-consecutive
cells so well, while SUMIF handled them so badly...
Daev.

"Fred Smith" wrote:

MS was thinking that most people would sum consecutive cells. They were
correct.

Regards,
Fred

Fred Smith[_4_]

Sum / Sumif

Good point. Sum was obviously written by someone who cared about the end
user, and was interested in handling as many situations as possible. It, for
example, is one of the few functions which handle 3D ranges
(Sheet1:Sheet3!A1:B6).

Unfortunately, MS did not insist on the same quality for most of the other
functions, including Sumif. And, more annoying, they haven't bothered to add
this functionality in future releases, included 2007.

Regards,
Fred.

"Fred Smith" wrote:

MS was thinking that most people would sum consecutive cells. They were
correct.

Regards,
Fred

Dave

Sum / Sumif

Hi FS,
Thanks for the info on summing 3D ranges. I didn't know that could be done.
Always learning.
Dave.